Spelling and Grammar

MissBam

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do spelling, typos, and grammatical errors interfere with post content?

• I can't get past them
    • I can get past them but have to correct or comment on errors
    • Highly irritating but I grit my teeth and bear it
    • Notice errors but can respond to content without comment on errors
    • I can get to the meat of the post and don't care about errors
    • We are now a texting society. Spelling and grammar are not important.
    • Skip posts with errors and dub poster 'idiot'

Guest Rosie

I LOVE this topic.

Even as a teenager in high school, I typed correctly in instant messaging, emails, etc. with my friends. I hate "lol" and when I see misuse of you're/your, their/there/they're, I feel my soul shrivel slightly. I can't help it; it just seems like the basics. Obviously writing in a post online is vastly different from an English class, and people shouldn't feel self-conscious about responding just because they aren't sure if they used a comma correctly. I do use slang and I overuse ellipses (...) so I get it. But if you can't type in recognizable English, how am I supposed to understand and respond? Is it really so difficult to type "are" versus R?

Ok, I confess, I am a teacher, but this pet peeve of mine began long before my teaching days. I don't grade people in real life, but I do like to be able to understand them.

• Like 3
Guest SuzyQ69

I admit to using "text talk" while actually texting but a lot of that is because I'm a slow texter and shortcuts help me keep up somewhat, lol. I use it a bit less on "Im'ing" with someone but rarely in emails, where I have more time to type my messages correctly. One thing I've noticed lately, especially on Facebook, is not shortcuts for conveying your message but actually adding letters. For example "I lovveeee youuuu". I admit that this one bothers me because I want to pronounce all the letters and find it hard to read. It feels like I'm singing the words, not reading them. :lol:

• Like 1

I voted for "Highly irritating but I grit my teeth and bear it". It depends on the specific case, though. If it is a simple typo I just overlook it, as that can happen to anyone. If, However, it looks like it is the result of either carelessness or the intentional use of "txt" language, then it seems to me that the author doesn't care enough about the subject to spend the time composing a reasonable comment or question. In that case I find it highly irritating and deserving of punishment, but I still try to respond to the content rather than the form.

I feel that I should apologize for my grammar in advance. ;)

Just a thought though. The forum – as many things based on the internet – is international. Although English is a fairly common language, it is not everybody’s mother tongue. Grammar and spelling does not come naturally and not everybody has a talent for languages.

I guess it can be dismissed as a poor excuse as spelling and grammar can be worked upon to improve over time. However you can only improve by using the language. Frankly, it is very intimidating to express yourself if every word you are using is going to be ripped apart.

• Like 2

Just a thought though. The forum – as many things based on the internet – is international. Although English is a fairly common language, it is not everybody’s mother tongue. Grammar and spelling does not come naturally and not everybody has a talent for languages.

I guess it can be dismissed as a poor excuse as spelling and grammar can be worked upon to improve over time. However you can only improve by using the language. Frankly, it is very intimidating to express yourself if every word you are using is going to be ripped apart.

Certainly those who are not english first language can be excused for grammar and spelling issues related to using the unfamiliar language. For those of us who are english first language, however, there really is no excuse for not doing our best in everything we compose.

...Although English is a fairly common language, it is not everybody’s mother tongue. Grammar and spelling does not come naturally and not everybody has a talent for languages...it is very intimidating to express yourself if every word you are using is going to be ripped apart.

That is a very good point, but there is a world of difference between someone for whom English is a second or third language, a native English-speaker who is dyslexic, and a native English-speaker who can't be bothered or doesn't know how to express himself clearly in his own language. It's usually easy to tell which group is which. I would never deliberately belittle someone who is trying their best to communicate, even if their English is broken; my issue is with the group who can't be bothered.

I've spent most of my adult life working overseas. I always find it intimidating when I have to communicate in another language; however, I always encourage the people around me to correct me when I say something incorrectly, as that is the only way that I can learn. Sometimes I have to wait until they stop laughing, though :rolleyes: .

Guest Krambot

Bueno, soy de acuerdo. Todo la gente del mundo no hablan ingles. Es necesario practicar para aprender cualquiera lengua.

Espero que tengas buen dia!!!!! (Abrazos)

English is a second language for me.

You want to try a hard language? Try German (for example)! That's my first language and I hate it!

I always have! Going through my primary education in Germany, I never got anything better than a

C in German.

English on the other hand, I love! I am certainly not saying that my English is great, but it is a

hell of a lot better than my German! Somehow, English appears to have evolved among people with

a practical outlook on communication; Short, precise, and to the point (perfect for science :) )!

German, on the other hand, must have been developed by people who like to talk a lot and say nothing

much, in as complicated a way as possible!

I loved everyone of my math and science teachers, but I hated everyone of my German teachers.

• Like 2

This be one a dub best post I'd seen lately. Personelly, typoos really upseet me, butt I can get pest them whitout too much affert. It wud be grate if peoples would take the tymes to be moor carefuls though. Afetrall, we are suppoed to be smartest kind of people.

2b

MB will you PLEEEEEASE spank him for this post???

I heard on NPR (National Public Radio) that the same area of the brain that is activated when we hear swearing is also the some one that we use when we see or hear grammar errors. Which is why so many are actually offended by misspellings and misuse of grammar.

I had a hard time voting. It really depends. The occasional misspelled word that is obviously a typo, well I am guilt of those too and I try to over look them. I tend to hit submit and then go back and proof read. I actually really dislike that about myself. In chat, I have a hard time keeping up myself sometimes; my fingers trip up. So in chat I totally understand.

"Alot" is like nails on a chalk board, as is the misuse of homophones. But again, I try and over look most of those too. I will comment on "alot" because a lot of people really don't know how to spell it.

When the entire post is one long paragraph with run on sentences, yeah I tend to skip those. I also tend to skip them when there is absolutely no capitals or punctuation at all. Those are the ones I really have issues with.

• Like 1
Guest 2bspanked

I heard on NPR (National Public Radio) that the same area of the brain that is activated when we hear swearing is also the some one that we use when we see or hear grammar errors. Which is why so many are actually offended by misspellings and misuse of grammar.

I had a hard time voting. It really depends. The occasional misspelled word that is obviously a typo, well I am guilt of those too and I try to over look them. I tend to hit submit and then go back and proof read. I actually really dislike that about myself. In chat, I have a hard time keeping up myself sometimes; my fingers trip up. So in chat I totally understand.

"Alot" is like nails on a chalk board, as is the misuse of homophones. But again, I try and over look most of those too. I will comment on "alot" because a lot of people really don't know how to spell it.

When the entire post is one long paragraph with run on sentences, yeah I tend to skip those. I also tend to skip them when there is absolutely no capitals or punctuation at all. Those are the ones I really have issues with.

I really liked your post alot Pony. You have really groan over the past year and what you say makes alot of cents.

:lol:

2b

Not necessarily true, Galt. If the writer intends to like two concepts together with a coordinative conjunction, then it can indeed take a singular adjective, as the two entities are combined into a unified whole. Consider the sentence, "Apple pie and ice cream is my favorite dessert." This is a "singular" subject, even though there are two nouns. I would argue that a better original sentence above might be, "Poor spelling and grammar is my favorite pet peeve," or, if the writer meant to make them distinct, "Poor spelling and grammar are two of my pet peeves." In this case, however, "poor spelling and grammar" are a combined, unified concept, and therefore take a singular verb.

I beg to differ. Your example of apple pie and ice cream combining to be one's favorite dessert is not the same as "poor spelling and grammar" in that they do not create a unified whole. Therein lies the difference. And,we're talking about the use of verbs not adjectives.

• Like 1

I beg to differ. Your example of apple pie and ice cream combining to be one's favorite dessert is not the same as "poor spelling and grammar" in that they do not create a unified whole. Therein lies the difference. And,we're talking about the use of verbs not adjectives.

geek alert :P

• 1 month later...
Guest Imperial_Pony

I think it's extremely rude to correct others' spelling/grammar. You never know how your words might affect someone else. I loathe people who play spelling/grammar nazi. It's like they're saying how much smarter they are than the person they are choosing to critisize.

Not everyone had english as their native tongue. You may be correcting someone who is doing the best that they can. You might also push said person away because if they're only getting critisized when trying their best, then what is the point of continuing to learn?

You may be critical of someone who is dyslexic or who has a learning disability. *Raises hand* I am currently 31. It took me till 28 to grasp the difference between your and you're. It took me till THIS YEAR to grasp the difference between its and it's. I do the best that I can, and I don't like my mistakes pointed out to me...it makes me feel stupid, inferior.

I am an avid writer who has pulled stories and ceased writng because of grammar nazi so-and-so's who just *have* to make a comment. They can't tell me what was good about the chapter or anything like that, no, it all comes down to a misspelled word or one bit of wonky grammar in one sentance in an otherwise flawless chapter. It isn't like I am attempting to get published, that would be a different ball game.

My best friend of 17 years was hit by a car when she was 6. She has a severe learning disability and can barely spell 4 and 5 letter words without assistance. She does the ebst she can, but sometimes not even spell checker is enough. You know how being corrected time and time again makes people like us feel? Like trash.

Unless it's someone talking in "leet speak" u kn0vv 7Ik3 t4!5 (that says: you know, like this) then who cares? What is that one phrase again...

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Your "correction" might just be hurtful to someone else.

And don't say to grow a thicker skin. I heard enough of that in my lifetime and went from a sensitive girl to a hard arse who had a rage problem. It took me YEARS to get through my battle with rage and these days...I am just indifferent to most everything.

I'm sorry this was long, but this is a topic that is sensitive for me, and one that is close to my heart. Bottom line is...it's extremely rude. If someone's typing botheres you that much...ignore them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kimba

Aoccdrnig to rscheear, it deons't mttear waht odrer the ltteres in a wrod are as lnog as the frsit and lsat are in the smae pacle we can slitl raed it. :P

Guest Phreddy

I have been noticing that people are noticing and commenting on spelling and grammatical errors in topics and posts. I was wondering how this affects how people feel about the actual content of the topic or post that they are reading when errors are present.

I know that I notice errors but try to get to the meaning of the message without pointing out the errors. I was taught that this was rude even if it was my stupid sister. After all, we all make mistakes at some point.

Is there anyone who uses spell check here?

How important is this issue?

:blink:

MB

By the time we are out of high school, correct grammar and spelling should be second nature. If not, either the student has wasted the teacher's time, or the teacher has wasted the student's time.

Guest Imperial_Pony

By the time we are out of high school, correct grammar and spelling should be second nature. If not, either the student has wasted the teacher's time, or the teacher has wasted the student's time.

Read my post on this page. Not everyone can help not being flawless.

Guest Mr.Tanyerhide

I'm not one to point out illiteracy, but it can be an issue. An occasional typo is one thing, but in a world of texting with spell check, what it indicates to me is apathetic, lazy & unchallenged. It generally makes any reading much more difficult. I don't expect a college level thesis, but personally, I won't bother with any text if I need to struggle to understand a simple text. Obviously, this applies only to those who've gone through the American Public School System.

I find it frustrating to read something where someone hasn't paid us the respect and courtesy to take the time to think their way through what they are saying. (Obviously this doesn't apply to someone with dyslexia or other learning disabilities) I also believe it's important to be respectful and courteous to NOT say anything - unless you know the writer and how they would take being corrected. If I had many many mistakes in my writing, my belief pattern, the way I behave around others and you know me well enough to talk to me - please do.

The way we perceive ourselves, the standards we have all show in our behavior and our speech and ultimately the way we talk. We should ALL hold ourselves up to high standards - isn't that why we are here being disciplined for our mistakes when we need it? We all want to better ourselves and we want to be accountable to others.

(Yes, I know I need to work on my punctuation - I'm terrible at it. LOL. I'm taking a writing class this fall to correct it)

Tina

Guest Krambot

I find it frustrating to read something where someone hasn't paid us the respect and courtesy to take the time to think their way through what they are saying. (Obviously this doesn't apply to someone with dyslexia or other learning disabilities) I also believe it's important to be respectful and courteous to NOT say anything - unless you know the writer and how they would take being corrected. If I had many many mistakes in my writing, my belief pattern, the way I behave around others and you know me well enough to talk to me - please do.

The way we perceive ourselves, the standards we have all show in our behavior and our speech and ultimately the way we talk. We should ALL hold ourselves up to high standards - isn't that why we are here being disciplined for our mistakes when we need it? We all want to better ourselves and we want to be accountable to others.

(Yes, I know I need to work on my punctuation - I'm terrible at it. LOL. I'm taking a writing class this fall to correct it)

Tina

There is a coordination error in the first sentence. The last sentence in the first paragraph needs...oh, well, I will be respectful and courteous...LOL. Of course this post is in jest...just having a little fun on a Saturday mourning (I am mourning because I won't get spanked for a while!!!) Have a wonderful day, Tina. Hope your writing class goes great for ya!!!!! I miss teaching English. I am so smiling.