Texting and Driving

Guest Aspenleafquaking

Weird how it got bumped right after I post that I got a ticket for it. Hmmmm.

I learned to drive practically with a cell phone in my hand. I can text one handed. I can text without looking.

I can text better than a lot of people EAT and DRINK and drive. So if you are going to judge me for texting and driving put down your big mac and put both hands on the wheel.

I see people eating, drinking, doing makeup, brushing their hair, playing with their kids and smoking while driving. What in the world is the difference? One hand driving is one hand driving. I dont have to look at my phone to text, and I dont have to look at my keyboard to type. I do it well. Glancing at my phone is no different then glancing down into a McDonalds bag to pull out a sandwich.

But no, people who are old who arent used to texting and driving shouldnt do it and inexperienced drivers shouldnt do it.

I would NEVER EVER drink and drive. Ever. But texting in driving is very much a habit I have. And for once I am glad my husband isnt here. He doesnt really like anything but driving and driving. Both hands on the wheel, anything else can be done in a stopped car, type deal. We disagree on this topic obviously

Well in the State of Colorado as you have discovered it is against the law. You had better hope to never meet me on the road if you are texting and driving I am less than kind to people who do this. I had a good friend killed by a cell phone user who thought they could do both, you can't and you have no regard for others on the road if that is what you do. Your attitude towards this behavior is unacceptable as far as I am concerned. Age absolutley plays no factor in this irresponsible behavior. I chase people who are bad irresponsible drivers no matter there offense. Nothing is that impotant to risk yours or others lives.

Aspen

• Like 1

Texting while driving?

TEXTING WHILE DRIVING??

TEXTING WHILE DRIVING???

That is way more dangerous than dialing a cell phone while driving... even talking on a cell phone while driving is dangerous!

Texting while driving is So Dangerous, that at least my home state of Michigan has outlawed it, as of July 1, 2010.

Why, I was so shocked to find that people text while driving that I had to answer this instantly, despite the fact that I am typing at 70 miles an hour down Interstate 94 in Michigan as I write this!

Those who text while driving should be SPANKED. HARD! and LONG! and really Really RED (or PURPLE)!

Indeed!!

I think you should find a mentor or disciplinarian and take your own medicine ASAP.

Catharsis By Her Hand

P.S. Please excuse any typos... they are caused by bumps in the road.

P.P.S. Although I am typing at 70 mph on the interstate, I am not the driver!

I think you should find a disciplinarian and take your own prescribed medicine ASAP.

Maybe you need to pay for your texting. One spank for each word. It is so stupid for you to text and drive, putting yourself and your children in danger, if you can't sit down to drive because your bottom is too sore, it might make an impression.

• Like 1

Well I just got a new phone and now I am unable to really text when driving. I used to be able to text without looking at my phone, and keep all eyes on the road and drive prefect. Two weeks ago I got a new phone and am finding it very hard to text and drive. I do find myself going off the road or even in another lane because I'm trying to text. I have been putting my phone down when driving more often then not, but I still do find myself reaching for it. Thats why we are seeking the extra help now, because its really REALLY becoming a problem. I'm texting, checking email and IMing when I'm driving. Most of the time its at red lights, but that also holds up people behind me because I don't go when the light turns green.

This compulsion amazes me. I don't get it. Obviously it's not an aberration and, there, but for the grace of God go I. I just thank god that I don't have it. I think it won't be long before the laws get really tough on this. I often hear it reported that texting while driving is more dangerous than drinking while driving.

I wish all of you TWDers good luck in kicking this.

Michael

No I'm not posting this when driving, for ounce. My phone plan will not allow me to shut off the text messages without turning off the whole phone. I suggested maybe slapping my hands, if my hands hurt it would be a reminder not to text when drive. Or maybe even meet more then ounce every two months for punishment. I think I might be the type of girl who needs spankings more often. Does anyone have any experience with spanking peoples hands? I've only ever seen that in videos but I have been told it works.

Only every two months? Really? No wonder it's not working. I think a compelling habit like this calls for immediate feedback. You should be spanked hard each and everyday you do this. Of course I realize that that may; scratch that; probably is not possible. I do have a suggestion for you though. This came from a therapist I knew. He claimed a very high success rate for it.

You pick a food that you really hate. Since this problem happens when your out you'll have to carry some with you. When you feel like texting go ahead and text but right after, force yourself to eat a couple of bites of the nasty stuff. The guy claimed that he often had a successful result with just one iteration.

I wish everyone with this problem the very best of luck kicking it.

It sounds like your going to need it.

Michael

All I can say is DAMN!!! I am completely baffled. What is it that drives someone with this urgent need/compulsion to answer that text RIGHT NOW? The consequences of delaying the answer to a text message ( Actually, I'll be damned if I can think of any ) compared to the potential consequence of texting while driving ( Horrible rending death ) should make the choice, not to text, easy; One of the few, truly real, no brainers. What is it about texting that has this profound effect on people's judgement? I don't mean this as a criticism of people that do this. This phenomena does not appear to arise out of selfishness or thoughtlessness or any other character flaw you might assign to it. It is something real and powerful happening in people's brains. I would like to hear from the texters. What do you feel emotionally when that need to answer that text "RIGHT NOW" hits you? Is it some kind of rush? Some sort of anxiety? Etc.....

I'd appreciate it if those replying to this post would also copy and paste their replies into a PM to me. This is a hell of a big thread. I don't relish the idea of sifting through it for these answers.

Thanks

Michael

Weird how it got bumped right after I post that I got a ticket for it. Hmmmm.

I learned to drive practically with a cell phone in my hand. I can text one handed. I can text without looking.

I can text better than a lot of people EAT and DRINK and drive. So if you are going to judge me for texting and driving put down your big mac and put both hands on the wheel.

Subgrl

Are you kidding?! Is this need to text right this second so powerful that it drives you to defend the indefensible? Other people do foolish and dangerous things so I have the right to do dangerous things too. Is that your

argument? Take a couple of deep breathes. Get yourself as calm as you can. Now read that argument again. Can you honestly say that it is a reasonable, rational position. Does it make sense?

What about your other argument; It's not dangerous when I do it. Do you really think that's true? Are you certain that their isn't, at least a little bit of, denial in that conclusion?

Tell me honestly; What is so important about texting that you can't give it a break just long enough to drive across town. Will something bad happen if you do?

Is this an addiction for you? Why don't you test that? See if you can give up texting for 5 days just to find out. Does the idea make you anxious or angry? How about 1day. Can you do that? Can you imagine what life

would be like if you didn't text? What would you lose?

How about this simple question? Is texting something you want to do or, something you need to do?

Take a few days and think about these questions. It may be worth it to find out the answers.

Michael

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
Guest AlexisG

I think I have come up with a really good system to correct this behavior. I think if a person texts while driving (twd), then a spanking should occur because it is dangerous. But, a second element should be added to the punishment. When the first offense occurs, the person should be made to wear gloves or mittens (whichever one will not allow the person to text) for the remainder of the day or the next full day of driving. The punishment would be to put them on before the car is started and not get to take them off until the car is in park and turned off. The for each subsequent offense the days would be doubled. I know I'd feel ridiculous if I had to wear gloves or mittens while driving especially if it was this time of year or say July or August! Explaining what you were doing would be very embarrassing.

Please don't be mad at me for suggesting this, people who are working on twd goals!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Imperial_Pony

Well what if you text while driving but don't get a ticket or pulled over Mama?

IMO it still warrents a spanking because your actions could have killed someone.

Guest AlexisG

I unfortunately have this habit too... I tried the sticky note on the wheel thing but that didn't last long. I just don't think about it. I always think "im paying attention" .... :(

Once you get into trouble so many times and your mentor says you are to keep your phone in the glove box and if you ever do it again you not only have to put a sign in your window for everyone to see, but you will be strapped severely...I think you'll have a problem with continuing this behavior.

Also when good friends like MissBam ask you how your life will change if you do have an accident and hurt yourself/others, kill yourself/others, or damage your/others' property due to texting while driving. My mentor has told me, "All it takes is once and someone's life is going to change. At the very minimum that will be yours. The other end of the spectrum is potentially infinite. If you would have a single vehicle accident and be killed or maimed you and your immediate as well as extended family will be affected as well as anyone that might be a witness to it including EMS or law enforcement officer personnel. If you collide with someone else [it will be MUCH worse]...The bottom line is this: Knock your crap off if you don't want to die or spend part of the rest of your life locked up for hurting someone else assuming you survive."

I hope that you will learn this lesson a lot sooner than me!

Guest Mr.Tanyerhide

in addition to the amount of a Fine, the winning contestant receives One Swat per $ amount for any prospective

Bail/Bond amount, attorney fees, plus Insurance costs {escalated premium amount}. Plus an additional "Six of the Best"

just because I might be aggravated. You must provide your own defense attorney. A court appointed defense is not permissible. Also, I am prosecutor, judge & executioner, which is extremely unfortunate.

Once you get into trouble so many times and your mentor says you are to keep your phone in the glove box and if you ever do it again you not only have to put a sign in your window for everyone to see, but you will be strapped severely...I think you'll have a problem with continuing this behavior.

Also when good friends like MissBam ask you how your life will change if you do have an accident and hurt yourself/others, kill yourself/others, or damage your/others' property due to texting while driving. My mentor has told me, "All it takes is once and someone's life is going to change. At the very minimum that will be yours. The other end of the spectrum is potentially infinite. If you would have a single vehicle accident and be killed or maimed you and your immediate as well as extended family will be affected as well as anyone that might be a witness to it including EMS or law enforcement officer personnel. If you collide with someone else [it will be MUCH worse]...The bottom line is this: Knock your crap off if you don't want to die or spend part of the rest of your life locked up for hurting someone else assuming you survive."

I hope that you will learn this lesson a lot sooner than me!

It will be sooner. Much sooner.

Dad/Michael

• 3 months later...

Just an update...I havent stopped texting and driving :( and I havent been spanked since November. I still talk to my mentor and have threated with punishment but still have not recieved any, or have even seen him. I will be actively looking for a mentor/daddy in Michigan. AlexisG when you say sign, what kind of sign? What would it say?

As others have mentioned, taking away your telephone would be appropriate.

I would deliver smacks to your hands with a thin ruler or strap in addition to a thorough bare bottom hiding. Embarrassment works well, too. I would check your phone every night. Anyone you texted while driving, you'd have to text them a picture of your bare bottom after it had been thoroughly spanked.

You could also be made to ride around with a custom bumper sticker on your car: "Don't Drive Near Me, I Text While Driving," or something along those lines. The least you could do is warn other drivers that you're not responsible behind the wheel!