Deception

This topic could be considered to be abstract with impossible to prove answers.   We have become a race of beings that believe thoughts and ideas that can't be scientifically proven ... repeatable in a laboratory setting ... have little or no value.

Is it possible that deception keeps the human race and us as individuals from being our very best?  Yes  or  No

Feel free to elaborate on your answer.

Thanks for your responses.

Joe

Of course it does for those who simply choose to accept what they are fed without doing their homework. The internet has changed our world forever. Just wait until Artificial Intelligence really gets going. The deception will be PhD level. 😥

• Like 1

I think deception is built into humans and so, not unsurprisingly, is present in most human creations. Probably news media has always been deceptive, especially when propagandizing for those in political power.  I was raised to believe the USA government  was above all that. Now, I agree with the observation that our government devolved into a troubled, dysfunctional system in which excellent leaders were constrained. Lately, sadly, I now believe we have profoundly corrupt, sociopathic leaders who are using this dysfunctional system for their own interests. 

On 8/9/2023 at 7:04 PM, Spanknutt said:

Of course it does for those who simply choose to accept what they are fed without doing their homework. The internet has changed our world forever. Just wait until Artificial Intelligence really gets going. The deception will be PhD level. 😥

Thanks Spanknutt for your response.  I agree with you about doing our homework in order to have a slim chance against deception.  AI is remarkable in its ability to absorb data and re-present it as coherent information.  Will AI be able to "fact check" all the information it presents?  Will AI be as vulnerable or more vulnerable to deception than we are?  Truth is priceless but finding it is becoming far more difficult.

Joe

On 8/10/2023 at 9:03 AM, spankingpurist said:

I think deception is built into humans

Thanks spankingpurist for your response.

I am with you 100%.  I believe that one of the fundamental weaknesses of all humans is our vulnerability to deception.  Without truth we can't possibly know how to live productive full lives.  Do most wonder, at some point, am I living the best life I could live?