Outside Links & Impersonating

We wanted to caution members on joining outside links that sound like they are associated with Spanking Needs or target our members. Currently, Spanking Needs does not have any external links that are associated with our website. 

It's come to our attention that a member started a discord chat room and spammed it through our chat room, and sent unsolicited private messages to members asking them to join. The link confused several members; some thought the staff had started the room with the description etc. We asked the member to stop spamming our site. We are fine with outside links (done proper). 

Additionally, it's come to our attention that people's accounts on SN were/ are being impersonated (including their images) on their created chat room. There is no way for anyone on the discord group to "verify" your account, the account of others on the program, duplicate accounts, or trolls. They do not have access to our moderation system here. 

Again, we are not associated with any other group, so if anyone asks you to "verify your SN account," they cannot do so accurately (print screens can be photoshopped). Because of the severity of the identities of our members being used we are no longer allowing that chat room to be linked on our site for the time being. We will be removing any links or references to it. 

We have a chat room and a beta-chat being tested (hopefully live soon). 

If anyone has any concerns, don't hesitate to get in touch with the SpankingNeeds staff directly. Our names are linked below - 

@Child of Light

@Mystery Man

@shygurl

@Spanknutt

@Drooaygah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thank you so much for being so diligent and protecting this site and our members.  

As you, yourself, have noted.  There is room on the vast internet for more than one site like this.  The problem lies in the way they promoted the other site here.  I was a "victim" of 2 people coming into my PM.  I didn't even know them or talk to them onsite prior to their entering my PM.  It was done in a classless manner.

Good luck to them but glad you are on top of this and stopping issues such as the above.  

Kiko

• Thanks 3
44 minutes ago, kiko said:

Thank you so much for being so diligent and protecting this site and our members.  

As you, yourself, have noted.  There is room on the vast internet for more than one site like this.  The problem lies in the way they promoted the other site here.  I was a "victim" of 2 people coming into my PM.  I didn't even know them or talk to them onsite prior to their entering my PM.  It was done in a classless manner.

Good luck to them but glad you are on top of this and stopping issues such as the above.  

Kiko

I'm so sorry you were spammed on our website. No one should be doing that. It's wrong and we will be taking care of it. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing about this issue. I don't have Discord or any desire to use another group chat site - I really enjoy the one here on SN. I was asked to join and simply said "no" and that was the end of it.

Is there any way to find out if a profile has been impersonated on the Discord chat? This issue is really concerning. 

For what it is worth, I don't think the person who started the Discord chat had ill intentions. I was on chat during that time and it was something several folks wanted to set up. My only suggestion was that they reach out to you if they intended to use SN in the title. 

As always, thank you for all you do - and for this site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Child of Light said:

Feel free to message me and I can search it as well as people can search for their username like so:

https://www.alphr.com/find-someone-discord/

People with more unique usernames will show up.  

I tried this. Not only did I not find clones of my account, but I also didn't find my own Discord account which I know is mine. 

Do we know whose personal images were ripped by these lunks? ("Lunks" is a word we need to bring back. Work with me on this, people)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Child of Light said:

It's come to our attention that a member started a discord chat room and spammed it through our chat room, and sent unsolicited private messages to members asking them to join. The link confused several members; some thought the staff had started the room with the description etc. We asked the member to stop spamming our site. 

Additionally, it's come to our attention that people's accounts on SN were/ are being impersonated (including their images) on their created chat room. There is no way for anyone on the discord group to "verify" your account, the account of others on the program, duplicate accounts, or trolls. They do not have access to our moderation system here. 

Again, we are not associated with any other group, so if anyone asks you to "verify your SN account," they cannot do so accurately (print screens can be photoshopped). Because of the severity of the identities of our members being used we are no longer allowing that chat room to be linked on our site for the time being. We will be removing any links or references to it. 

We have a chat room and a beta-chat being tested (hopefully live soon). 

Sharing a link 3 times over the course of several hours so that people coming on can see it, is not spamming. Nevertheless, in an attempt to keep the peace and be respectful of SN and the people here, I apologized and stopped sharing the link entirely except in private messages with people I chat with.

The description of the chat where SN was mentioned was off the cuff and was quickly corrected to make it clear that the server was not being run by SN admins. I appreciate RubyRedd for pointing this out before very many people saw it. 

I absolutely did NOT send unsolicited PMs to anyone and I am extremely offended by this accusation. If anyone else did, I apologize on their behalf. I certainly would have said something had I realized that was happening. 

You are causing panic unnecessarily. Only one person's account appears to POSSIBLY have been impersonated, (still waiting to confirm with that user) the problem was addressed immediately and a verification process set up to prevent this in future. I am personally checking each and every one of the current users on the server, removing anyone who cannot be verified and the server moderators will continue to do so in the future. 

Yes, I CAN verify by asking SN members to share a screenshot proving that they are able to log into their own SN account.
No, you can't photoshop a screenshot like that unless you are a graphic designer with an extremely high level of expertise and even then, it is unlikely to fool me...a graphic designer with that level of expertise. No one running around the internet impersonating others has that kind of work ethic or skill. 

Furthermore, the chat here has been glitchy for at least the 5 YEARS since I joined. But it wasn't until someone dared to provide a solution that the SN admin did not have control over, that they finally decided to take it seriously. 

ChildofLight was all for the server and said so. There is nothing I despise more than two-facedness. This pretending that everything is fine, telling me that we're cool, telling me that you would have made a server yourself if you could have, etc. etc. but then coming on here and blasting us as the bad guys, scaring people into thinking their usernames are being stolen, attempting to destroy my good reputation on this site and prevent people from joining...it is absolutely unconscionable. 

I was kind to you, I listened when you brought up potential or actual issues and made adjustments accordingly. I thought we could co-exist side by side and encourage each other, solve your chat issues for free and without even causing you any extra work and you gave me the impression that you agreed only to stab me in the back.

I can't believe this is happening. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
30 minutes ago, BansheeGal said:

Sharing a link 3 times over the course of several hours so that people coming on can see it, is not spamming. Nevertheless, in an attempt to keep the peace and be respectful of SN and the people here, I apologized and stopped sharing the link entirely except in private messages with people I chat with.

The description of the chat where SN was mentioned was off the cuff and was quickly corrected to make it clear that the server was not being run by SN admins. I appreciate RubyRedd for pointing this out before very many people saw it. 

I absolutely did NOT send unsolicited PMs to anyone and I am extremely offended by this accusation. If anyone else did, I apologize on their behalf. I certainly would have said something had I realized that was happening. 

You are causing panic unnecessarily. Only one person's account appears to POSSIBLY have been impersonated, (still waiting to confirm with that user) the problem was addressed immediately and a verification process set up to prevent this in future. I am personally checking each and every one of the current users on the server, removing anyone who cannot be verified and the server moderators will continue to do so in the future. 

Yes, I CAN verify by asking SN members to share a screenshot proving that they are able to log into their own SN account.
No, you can't photoshop a screenshot like that unless you are a graphic designer with an extremely high level of expertise and even then, it is unlikely to fool me...a graphic designer with that level of expertise. No one running around the internet impersonating others has that kind of work ethic or skill. 

Furthermore, the chat here has been glitchy for at least the 5 YEARS since I joined. But it wasn't until someone dared to provide a solution that the SN admin did not have control over, that they finally decided to take it seriously. 

ChildofLight was all for the server and said so. There is nothing I despise more than two-facedness. This pretending that everything is fine, telling me that we're cool, telling me that you would have made a server yourself if you could have, etc. etc. but then coming on here and blasting us as the bad guys, scaring people into thinking their usernames are being stolen, attempting to destroy my good reputation on this site and prevent people from joining...it is absolutely unconscionable. 

I was kind to you, I listened when you brought up potential or actual issues and made adjustments accordingly. I thought we could co-exist side by side and encourage each other, solve your chat issues for free and without even causing you any extra work and you gave me the impression that you agreed only to stab me in the back.

Yes, your right - I typically am fine with links like this on SN. And yes we did talk about it after. Yes, someones identify was taken and used, and it's my duty to inform the community. I am not stabbing you in the back. I laid out facts here. We are cool. But the community does have a right to know whats happening.

Just got this report today: 

"we SN have started a new chat group on **** it works so much better than our chat here. Here's the link if interested 0https://****.gg/**" 

From one of your chat moderators. 

This is not acceptable.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Child of Light said:

Just got this report today: 

"we SN have started a new chat group on **** it works so much better than our chat here. Here's the link if interested 0https://****.gg/**" 

From one of your chat moderators. 

This is not acceptable.... 

Who posted that in chat? It was not one of my moderators. 
Can I get a screenshot of it? 
Correction: apparently it was. It was an honest mistake and has been handled. 

Edited by BansheeGal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
47 minutes ago, BansheeGal said:

Who posted that in chat? I checked, it was not one of my moderators. 

We can have this conversation privately. But no, reports stay between staff members. The members who reported it to us can speak up if they like (but don't have to). A couple have in this thread already. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, DaChief said:

I tried this. Not only did I not find clones of my account, but I also didn't find my own Discord account which I know is mine. 

Do we know whose personal images were ripped by these lunks? ("Lunks" is a word we need to bring back. Work with me on this, people)

We know it's one person so far (confirmed) where they stole their username/ images and someone else who is also coming forward that they didn't join the chat but their username was used in it. It's good to know that search isn't working, I'll see if there is another way for members to check. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone I’m one of the mods on the discord and just wanted to through my 2 cents out there.  

I’ve been a user of SN for years and made some meaningful connections and I’m enjoying the discord as well and hope both can Co-exist. 

In regards to the message spamming I think it comes down to some over eager users and we’ll do our best to address this going forward however the discord has never claimed to be affiliated in anyway with SN. The name SN doesn’t appear anywhere anymore, originally it appeared in the name until the creator of the discord realised this may cause issues and confusion and it was quickly rectified. 

The real elephant in the room is impersonation. It seems there may have been one member who’s user name was taken however no one’s images have been taken (I don’t know if that was just a misunderstanding) however to play devils advocate there is nothing stopping someone on the internet doing this. Yes it looks worse because a number of users have come from SN but if you upload anything onto the web there is a chance this happens. 

For the most part as a lot of members are both active users here and there any frauds are going to be quickly weeded out and we do take this seriously. 

The aim of the discord was just to create another place to enjoy this thing we all enjoy (even when we don’t) yes chat has had some issues which have been addressed and will continue to be addressed but the intention was never to replace SN nor imitate it to make it seem like this was SN. For a lot of people this side of them is kept secret and discord is a slightly less inconspicuous way of interacting with the community without having to worry about being found out. 

I look forward to working with CoL and her mod team to clear any tensions and seeing both communities thrive. However if there is an issue with the discord then we can refrain from mentioning it going forward on this site. It can exist in its own bubble separate from SN and a line can be drawn under this.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I also would like to add my 2 cents...I was the one wo originally brought up the idea of having a chat on discord. I honestly was hoping that word would get to the admins that they'd take a look and consider switching the site over to discord or something more similar and interactive. I honestly have to say if was really out of frustration. I have a computer with 750mbps internet speed and waiting for 3-5 minutes sometimes for the page to refresh each time you type a sentence is beyond unacceptable to me. then a another member decided to make a cht room on discord and in my joy I posted the link on the first day not realizing the ramifications of my overzealous action. i sincerely apologize for my actions

• Confused 1
3 hours ago, BansheeGal said:

This isn’t a good look.

A lot of this mess is on me. I suggested it that morning and I wish like hell I hadn’t. I take full ownership of it. But it hasn’t been a week and this has already exploded into insane. CoL is acting like a leader and trying to resolve a real issue. This is not an equal response to her. The whole fight should stop and the groups should merge back here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will also say, some folks may not have been here in the bad old days. CoL took a leap of faith — and hit to her bank account — to keep this place open. She’s steered the ship well through scary legal times (SESTA/FOSTA). Her mod team is elite (this is a much bigger deal than it appears). Even if you disagree with her, she deserves respect for what she’s done for the community.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, BansheeGal said:

Even one person being impersonated is a problem and the site owners have every right to make a post telling people what happened. I was personally spammed by 2 people and saw you in chat spamming it over a dozen times in a couple hours time!!!!! What are you talking about girl? Pttt! Get out of here. 

"No, you can't photoshop a screenshot like that unless you are a graphic designer with an extremely high level of expertise and even then, it is unlikely to fool me...a graphic designer with that level of expertise. No one running around the internet impersonating others has that kind of work ethic or skill. "

4chan????

• Like 3

I have been silent on this issue until now. Let me assure everyone our community is at risk. There were 2 profiles using my name, "MrGSpanks" created on Discord. I'm not suggesting creating another option for people with a spanking fetish is bad. Fair competition is welcome. My outrage is the method and tactics.  The actions are disrespectful and now I'm hearing have grown into lies and personal attacks about this site and all of us in this community.

My first post here was in 2009 so I've been here many years. The team here under Chil of Lite's leadership is best in class. Our best path is to be diligent, cautious and grow THIS community.

Thank you for reading my comments. They are short as I appreciate time is persious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I understand that CoL sees it as just laying out the facts but this post came on the heels of her being on my server, chatting with people, being all friendly and messaging myself and another mod as if everything was fine and we were going to work together to fix the issues that did come up. My issue isn't that users were informed, my issue is that some of the facts were left out and others were twisted, causing unnecessary panic, and I was straight up lied about and after I thought were being friendly. That is why I'm so upset.

I thought this was a community. I thought we were all in this together and I could help by finally creating a working chat. When I created the server initially, I honestly wasn't even that serious about it but it grew quickly and was so much more user-friendly, now I'm in for the long haul and now we're finding ways to fix issues that have cropped up over the past 4 days.

Impersonating SN is a big problem. That's why I fixed it before this thread was ever posted.

Users being impersonated, also a big problem. But I would like to point out, an SN user took another SN user's name and impersonated them on another site. That is an SN problem which we have gone overboard to fix on our end even though we did not have to. They could just as easily have happened on ST or iPun or FetLife or anywhere else on the www. Is CoL also protecting you from those sites by checking with you to make sure your profile there is real and then warning everyone about the site if it isn't? Do they have to set up verification to make sure SN users who join their website didn't steal their username? Or is that on us to be aware of the risks inherent with using the internet? 

I don't like that they picked my server to do it on and we immediately found a way to prevent it in future. But now everyone here thinks they're at risk because of my server and that it's all my fault because complete and accurate information was not shared. 

Finally, I build and run social media communities for a living. People pay me a lot of money to do it because I am very good at what I do. I know how to keep scammers out, protect users, what works and what doesn't. I also know to build an online community without spamming, I don't need or want to gutt SN. There's no reason we can't coexist, we are two very different platforms. Someday, we will all be glad that we have other, more Gen Z and Gen A friendly options like Discord.

Edited by BansheeGal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

@BansheeGal What you don't seem to understand is 

We had to lay out the facts because of the impersonation of SN and members thinking we created the site. To go further into detail - there were 2 usernames that joined that weren't who they said to be. One of them stole the username, avatar, and spoke as if they were that member. You used SN in the chat name at first; your mod claimed the site to be SN's chat and then a member got spoofed. We had nothing to do with what happened. Point blank. SN's name was dragged into it. We are clearing our name and any further confusion. This is nothing against you. This is to protect our name and our community. 

If you linked the discord properly without it being spammed; and it was made more clear that Spanking Needs did not own the server, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. We don't have issues with communities sharing their links and have an entire forum section for it. Several have linked their discords and they have been nothing but pleasant to be in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, BansheeGal said:

Users being impersonated, also a big problem. But I would like to point out, an SN user took another SN user's name and impersonated them on another site. That is an SN problem which we have gone overboard to fix on our end even though we did not have to. 

You made it a site problem by impersonating the community. It would appear the admins saw this as a problem and addressed it with this thread. If you didn't poach from here there would not have been anything to fix. The entire situation is your fault. If you think it's acceptable to have troll accounts taking peoples identity from the community do you really blame admins from blocking your crap chat? I'd ask why they aren't blocking you yet. Cya.

• Thanks 2
53 minutes ago, Justin Jones said:

Geez atleast one young lady in this thread needs a bare bum spanking 

Does this really seem like something that fit in this particular thread?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is evident that one of the problems is how the site tried to approach chatters from here to tryout Discord.  I fail to see that as a problem.  CoL and others have repeatedly  reiterated that they have NO problem with two sites.  What some FAIL to see is that it was the manner in which some of this was executed.  Many, including myself were approached in our PMs by (in my case) chatters I did not know to join Discord.  MrG has come forth as the SN member whose account and images were stolen and used on Discord.  Others have said, yes, they did suggest an alternative site but did not mean SN to be criticized and dissed in the process.  The invitation I received DID have SN in its message.

Mistakes were made...lots of mistakes.  Now's the time to own them.  You made mistakes setting up a new server as you have never done it before.  Fine.  Quit making excuses that you have to correct.  There are many messages here saying that a mistake was corrected...Oh yea a moderator did do this but problem solved (these corrections were made after a lot of venom was spewed).  Every attack Discord has made involved backpedaling and corrections.  Enough already.  

CoL has been gracious.  Her site was dissed.  She has been slandered and libeled.  She still allows all on the site.  SHE has been made to prove what is. happening in plain view what we all saw on her site but Discord won't accept what happens until that proof is show.  Thank goodness some of their members are honest and admit they spammed (in excitement) etc.  They want to go on and we all want to go on.

In the spirit of the New Year...let's end this and go on.  Dragging it out only exposes more faulty reasoning, bandwagoning,  and gaslighting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1