Spanking and Mental Health

Hello again everyone. I have a question that I have been asking myself for a while. I need the opinions of anyone who is interested in sharing their thoughts. Can spanking be used as a coping method for depression or anxiety? I'm thinking that I could direct my anxiety through the anticipation and excitement that's comes with a spanking. The depression maybe can be dealt with though loving reconciliation afterwards and maybe punishment for openly speaking negative about myself. These are my thoughts, does anyone agree or disagree? 

• Like 1

I really hope you get some feedback. As I mentioned in chat, I don't think you can fix depression, anxiety, or negative self-talk with spanking. Spanking is not a cure for psychological trauma and it isn't a magic pill. 

Spanking is wonderful and I find it fulfilling. It does temporarily relieve stress (for me). What it can't do it "cure" problems. Spanking can't even change behaviors unless the spankee is willing to do the hard work and make changes.

I don't often discuss it, but I went through post-partum depression. Spanking was consistently part of my life before, during, and after. It could not "fix" me. I would really caution against using your kink / fetish / sexuality as if it will repair you. Is it beneficial to act on your desire to be spanked - probably so! I encourage all spankos to get spanked (or give one) as often as they can. Just don't count on it to make you less depressed or anxious in the long run. It may act as a temporary bandaid.

I know there are others who have shared their knowledge on this topic, so I hope they will weigh in. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Everything rubyredd said is spot on. Spanking cannot cure or fix clinical anxiety or depression. It can help with subclinical negative feeling states such as we all experience from time to time, though. Do not rely on TTWD to cure anything. In fact, entering a spanking relationship if you are not emotionally stable can be a slippery slope. Be careful.

• Like 5

Spanking can't cure depression or anxiety.  Depending upon whether one is seeking a recreational, fun sort of spanking, or a serious, punishment one, the effect on their mental state would be very different.  While someone may actually enjoy a recreational spanking and therefore it could temporarily make them feel better, it's not something one would use as a course of treatment for more serious emotional issues.  Getting a serious punishment spanking while one is already in a depressed state of mind could possibly make the person feel even worse, so that needs to be avoided. 

I've been fortunate to have several mental health professionals including psychology professors and behavioral therapists as friends over the years.  Every one of them would agree that if a person is involved in consensual spanking play and interaction and they are also attending a therapist or counselor or psychologist, it is pretty much mandatory that they inform their therapist about the spanking interests, and only participate knowing they have that person's approval. 

I've been involved in a spanking interaction and BDSM play with a local behavioral psychologist who is a good friend for over 45 years now.......... she's about the kinkiest person I've known, but would be the first to tell someone not to play if they were not in a healthy emotional state at the time. Sometimes she spanks me, but mostly I spank her, and it's worked out really well for both of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just an observation: you seem to have a lot going on in your life and are putting a lot of faith in Internet randos to help you through it. It may work but comes with enormous risk. I think your best move is to find friends and professional counseling and lean on them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great topic. Spanking should never be used for a Mental health illness. It can backfire hardcore and actually make it worse.

I have done a therapy approach before with it, but it was absolutely mandated and non-negotiable that she attended actual therapy simultaneously. Than it can be used to reinforce actual therapist etc. 

I know that ☝️ Sounds nuts to most but it does work. Be careful with random Spanko’s though, maybe find a professional spanker and pay them etc. just make sure and do your research on them first!

• Like 1

I tried to deal with an ee's mental health challenges very early on and quickly learned that I was no match for the complexities that come with that. I think there are a ton of things someone can do to improve their own mental health, but when the fundamentals aren't improving the situation I'd put that in the hands of a professional. There is a lot of risk involved is trying to deal with those kinds of challenges without having a masterful grasp of the mechanics at hand. Not something I'd think you'd want to experiment with as a frontline solution.

• Like 1