Question for spanking writers: Do you research?

For those of you who like to write spanking stories, do you ever do any research? What kind of research do you do? What's the most interesting thing you've learned?

I'll admit I've sometimes gone down a rabbit hole while writing a spanking story. It happened last night as I was trying to write a F/M spanking story--I started researching tenth century foods in Northern Russia and among Vikings. I probably spent an hour for what was used in one sentence that I might even delete before the story is done. 

Another time, I was writing a spanking story for a Halloween contest. We were given a prompt to write from. I ended up researching abandoned copper mines, Northern Michigan geography, the Ojibwe language, Finnish folklore, Indigenous folklore and an Appalachian blood-letting ceremony. Then, when I couldn't find what I wanted online, I went to the special collections of a major university that had the one copy of the book I could find that contained the late 18th century medical procedure. All this for a story that maybe three people read. And most of the research I did never made it into the story, and that which did, well, I played fast and loose with it. 

I write stories but they are just for my own amusement and pleasure. That said my pedantic nature makes me want to keep the background as accurate as possible, the length of skirts at the era it’s set in, just how old was the age of majority in the year I set that particular story in and so on…

Is it necessary if only for myself to read, no. Would it bother me long term, yes. Hence the research. 

Yes I know it’s possible to get bogged down and distracted from the meat of the story but it is all part of the escapism I gain from the story even when I revisit a story maybe a few months down the line and find myself checking the facts (again).

• Like 1

You’re a person after my own heart! Other than the contests, I’ve just written for myself and others. I’ve never published a spanking story and probably never will. I don’t want it to get mixed up with the professional writing I do. Too many people don’t get the kink.

But I love working out details like you describe. It is part of the escapism! That’sa great way to put that.

• Like 1

I write spanking stories but my inspiration usually comes from someone I know and I write them according to what I think would connect with that person. They are not "fantasy" stories, per se, although I did start to write a vampire kidnapping story once with BDSM overtones and never finished it.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, brigitta said:

For those of you who like to write spanking stories, do you ever do any research? What kind of research do you do? What's the most interesting thing you've learned?

I'll admit I've sometimes gone down a rabbit hole while writing a spanking story. It happened last night as I was trying to write a F/M spanking story--I started researching tenth century foods in Northern Russia and among Vikings. I probably spent an hour for what was used in one sentence that I might even delete before the story is done. 

Another time, I was writing a spanking story for a Halloween contest. We were given a prompt to write from. I ended up researching abandoned copper mines, Northern Michigan geography, the Ojibwe language, Finnish folklore, Indigenous folklore and an Appalachian blood-letting ceremony. Then, when I couldn't find what I wanted online, I went to the special collections of a major university that had the one copy of the book I could find that contained the late 18th century medical procedure. All this for a story that maybe three people read. And most of the research I did never made it into the story, and that which did, well, I played fast and loose with it. 

So you are saying that in Northern Russian, some Vikings were spanked by women?  That is pretty fascinating.

Yeah, I write for my own amusement too, just scenarios from my head.

When I've written the occasional spanking story — I'm not a pro — I've had to do lots of research. It's always a reminder of how much I don't know, my narrow experience, and just how unobservant I am in my day-to-day life. And I don't even try to write about anything historical or too far from my own experience. I've researched local geography and commerce, jobs I've never had, music groups and genres I don't listen to, fashion-related things I don't know the words for, some legal stuff, school policies and rules, a little psychology and this and that. When I have the time, it's fun to learn things. :)

• Like 1
On 9/7/2022 at 2:47 PM, arguy said:

So you are saying that in Northern Russian, some Vikings were spanked by women?  That is pretty fascinating.

Yeah, I write for my own amusement too, just scenarios from my head.

Only in my fantasies. 

Well, I mean, it could have happened, but I haven't found any record of it. The Russians do have some modern spanking stories. But have you ever heeard of Princess Olga? If any woman was spanking men back then, it would have been her. Which is what i'm now writing.

• Like 1
On 9/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, danadares said:

When I've written the occasional spanking story — I'm not a pro — I've had to do lots of research. It's always a reminder of how much I don't know, my narrow experience, and just how unobservant I am in my day-to-day life. And I don't even try to write about anything historical or too far from my own experience. I've researched local geography and commerce, jobs I've never had, music groups and genres I don't listen to, fashion-related things I don't know the words for, some legal stuff, school policies and rules, a little psychology and this and that. When I have the time, it's fun to learn things. :)

It *is* fun to learn things. I've always thought that the phrase "write what you know" is wrong. It should be "write what you want to know."

On 9/7/2022 at 1:47 PM, Blushingred said:

I write short stories and have an unpublished novel that I need to edit. For me, research is mostly spent giving and receiving a lot of spankings and talking to people who are into it.

Now that does sound like the most fun sort of research.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:25 AM, Spanknutt said:

I write spanking stories but my inspiration usually comes from someone I know and I write them according to what I think would connect with that person. They are not "fantasy" stories, per se, although I did start to write a vampire kidnapping story once with BDSM overtones and never finished it.

It is good to always have an audience in mind, isn't it? Whether someone specific or more generalized group of people.

It's an odd thing with me--in RL, all my writing is non-fiction. But when it comes to spanking? I have never once written up a personal experience. For some reason, I can only do fiction.