Wooden paddles

Coming to the experts to get to the bottom 😝 of a dilemma. I’m looking for a wooden paddle, similar to old school days, shorter than frat paddles…that can be swung multiple times limiting bruising. If I understand it correctly, the heavier the paddle and type of wood makes a big difference. Any recommendations? Maple? Pine? Oak? Opinions? I know anything can bruise, but hopefully you understand my point. 

• Like 1

Hi u can try a thin paddle like one u can get on ebay I have some thin ones I got off of eBay and the do the job example I hear a paddle that has a saying for the cute deer likes to be spanked on her bear bottom and it has a picture of a deer and a bear on it 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Makemesay said:

Coming to the experts to get to the bottom 😝 of a dilemma. I’m looking for a wooden paddle, similar to old school days, shorter than frat paddles…that can be swung multiple times limiting bruising. If I understand it correctly, the heavier the paddle and type of wood makes a big difference. Any recommendations? Maple? Pine? Oak? Opinions? I know anything can bruise, but hopefully you understand my point. 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1107438499/assume-the-position-signature-frat?click_key=71dd04923a9f646f1e5dd578489ee8f362e9b377%3A1107438499&click_sum=1d090d62&ref=shop_home_active_2&crt=1&sts=1

The 18'' version of this might be exactly what you're looking for 😁.

It depends on how hard it will be swung.  The thinner ones (1/4" or 3/8") provide a good sting but cannot be swung too hard without cracking when it comes to 18"-24" long paddles.  A good grade of plywood is probably the best material for a 3/8" thick paddle.  I made a 24" long school paddle out of 1/2" poplar.  According to those I used it on, it had a vicious sting.  But it broke after 4 years of use.  I had several signatures on that paddle and hated it breaking. 

I made another 24" paddle out of 1/2" thick red oak I bought from Lowes.  Same vicious sting.  I have had it for over 7 years now and collected about 60 signatures   I do a lot of Principal/student role plays.  Paddles thicker than 1/2" are less likely break but are more thuddy and much more likely to cause deep bruising.  Not saying my 1/2" won't bad bruises though.  It depends on the Bottom, bare or clothed, and number of swats.       

• Like 1
On 1/18/2022 at 7:35 PM, Makemesay said:

Great question. Again, a thinner paddle is going to be less inclined to bruise. It will produce more sting than thud.  Thud (thickness + weight) is what drives a paddle deeper into the muscles, which = bruising. As you've already figured out, the type of wood affects the impact as well. Personally, I like the feel of pine paddles. They are plain-Jane in the aesthetics department but not as hard as maple or oak. When they strike down, they have a bit more flex.

Also, I really like Etsy for paddle selection. Lots of good makers on there, and many of them do custom work. You might like LittleRedSpanking. He is gracious and helpful, and he offers several paddles that are thinner and less inclined to bruise. Here's a school-style paddle:  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/768142368/the-brat-by-lrs-o-375-thick-x-145-long?click_key=18f611a144fef346c57687db9567d084ff0a1d71%3A768142368&click_sum=a3ca9281&ref=shop_home_active_6&frs=1&crt=1&sts=1

• Like 1

For those who do not understand the difference between stingy and thuddy, stingy is a sting/burn on the surface of the bottom.  Thuddy is felt deeper down in the tissue/muscles of the bottom.  Think of being slapped in the face with an open hand compared to being punched in the face with a closed fist.      

• Like 1

My "stingy" paddle is made of poplar. The wood is lighter/less dense than most others, approx 3/4 inch thick, and has 3/8 inch holes drilled through in a nice pattern. Typically I find more sting from paddles with holes vs more thud with solid paddles. This one is very stingy but it's also my 3rd in the last couple years because at less than an inch thick for the surface area (18" long x 5" wide) plus the holes which presumably weaken the structure, it's not as sturdy as a good solid walnut/oak/maple paddle. Much stingier though.

• Like 1