Do we need a rule for this?

Some people have been posting topics that may be about fantasy or role play without making it clear if they actually are: topic is posted in the general section, not the Writing Desk or the Role Play board, and the poster makes no mention of role play or fantasy, implying, by default, that it's not. For example, recently there's been one about caning schoolgirls and one about fathers spanking adult sons. Those aren't the only topics we've had like that, just the ones that come to mind.

Personally, I'm not uncomfortable with people discussing their fantasies or role plays if they make it clear that's what it is, even if their fantasy or role play isn't my cup of tea, but some of those situations make me very uncomfortable when there's reasonable doubt that they might be 100% real. And when they're posted on the general boards, it's much harder to avoid stumbling across those topics than if they were in a specific section.

The rules don't include any requirement that fantasy and role play topics must be clearly identified as such or posted on specific boards. Do we perhaps need such a requirement? Is anyone besides me uncomfortable with those topics being posted anywhere and everywhere with no clarifications?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, spike said:

Agree 100%. If these scenarios are not between consenting adults, they're just creepy.

47 minutes ago, rubyredd said:

You probably already know that I am uncomfortable with any RL spanking that is not between consenting adults. 

And how do you guys feel about people posting scenarios that possibly are just fantasy or role play, but they don't make that clear, leaving the possibility open that they're talking about an RL situation that may be non-consensual (or incestuous)?

It's the not making it clear that bothers me so much. If they made it clear that this is a role play or fantasy they enjoy, that would be different. If the forum required people posting such things to make it clear, and enforced that, problem solved, IMO. But what do you all think?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Drooaygah said:

I think it is a reasonable request that people state that they are describing fiction, fantasy, or roleplay.

The problem is that some won't state it because a big part of the "fantasy" is letting themselves believe that the person or persons they are engaging with take it as a true story. I've seen that sort of thing over and over again for many years. That type also doesn't respond well to having their BS called out. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Bramblewine said:

And how do you guys feel about people posting scenarios that possibly are just fantasy or role play, but they don't make that clear, leaving the possibility open that they're talking about an RL situation that may be non-consensual (or incestuous)?

It's the not making it clear that bothers me so much. If they made it clear that this is a role play or fantasy they enjoy, that would be different. If the forum required people posting such things to make it clear, and enforced that, problem solved, IMO. But what do you all think?

Fully agree.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, DaChief said:

The problem is that some won't state it because a big part of the "fantasy" is letting themselves believe that the person or persons they are engaging with take it as a true story. I've seen that sort of thing over and over again for many years. That type also doesn't respond well to having their BS called out. 

If it is required, then it is a site rule.  If they don't comply, posts can be taken down, etc.  

1 minute ago, Drooaygah said:

If it is required, then it is a site rule.  If they don't comply, posts can be taken down, etc.  

But it isn't required. Unless it is and I missed it. I don't see it in the site rules.

If you do, please point us to it.

The team will have something written up after we talk about it in the staff section :). It has been a general rule to keep The Foundation area non-fantasies and to move non-factual events out of that section. We can define a few things to improve. Thank you for the feedback. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't agree more. I had a conversation with someone once where he started telling me details about spanking his child and insisted that it was real life. I assume, (and hope) it was just a fantasy, but I had no way of knowing and he would not break character for even a second.

• Like 2

We are moving forward on this.  

I too have met people who couldn't differentiate between fantasy and reality.  Of course I've also met Emma Watson several times on an IRC spanking channel.  

(surely no one would suggest it wasn't really her?)

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, BansheeGal said:

I couldn't agree more. I had a conversation with someone once where he started telling me details about spanking his child and insisted that it was real life. I assume, (and hope) it was just a fantasy, but I had no way of knowing and he would not break character for even a second.

Yeah I think this would be a really good idea...maybe a special place to post stuff that's fantasies? I've also had people in chat start in with that kind of stuff too...I'm very open minded about people's fantasies even if I might not share them...but if the stuff some people have told me in chat was true (like being 19 and spanked totally nude by their parents)...well it would be very troubling indeed...

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

why do we continue to skirt around the core issue at hand?

namely, that Spanking means something different, historically speaking, than the Safe Sane Consensual activities we engage in as Consenting Adults.

just ban ALL spanking topics that mention minors in ANY capacity and that should clear this up entirely.

nice job on the site update! :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • 1 month later...

Has any consensus been reached on this?

I don't see any rewrite in the forum rules. Meanwhile, there's another post that's likely fantasy but not specified to be, and it's upset some people: 

1 hour ago, Bramblewine said:

Has any consensus been reached on this?

I don't see any rewrite in the forum rules. Meanwhile, there's another post that's likely fantasy but not specified to be, and it's upset some people: 

For some reason I can't see what you've attached.  Can you direct me to the post in question?

Okay, we got the glitch fixed.  I saw it.

I agree insofar as it would be best posted to the fiction section.

I agree insofar as it should be labelled as "fantasy", and once we get that finally established, such things will be.

I also think the people in the thread are overreacting, both the original poster and the critics, and that the personal attacks are unacceptable. 

It takes time for all of the staff to get together and resolve things.  We have lives outside of SN.  People need to be practice patience and tolerance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for bumping this back up. We're still detailing it out. We currently do not allow illegal material on SN. We will get to this addition of the rules to be modified/ easier. However fixing some of the more important aspects of the site (eg database issues and glitches) have been taking our top concern. Once the team comes out with something we will make an announcement about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1