Spanking Needs Forums

Holes or No Holes - Selecting a Paddle

Paddles are one of the most intense impact implements one can use. They come in many shapes and sizes, weights and materials, and they pack quite a smack! Whether you're going for a traditional school paddle with the rectangular shape or using a repurposed kitchen spoon a paddle is an implement that means business.

So... Should you drill a hole in it? Or two? how about a dozen?

Holes in paddles make for a great modification to an already fearsome implement. Giving it a nice distinctive pattern, disrupting the spanked surface by having spanked and unspanked regions with each swat, and reducing the overall impact area creating unevenly spanked buns by the end of even just a dozen smacks. But is it worth it to put holes in a paddle?

Does Air resistance really matter when you're smacking a handful of times? Maybe if you're swinging a paddle the size of a dinner plate (trust me, they're ridiculous). But for standard hand paddles, it definitely comes down to that evenness.

A traditionally shaped paddle, hairbrush or spoon is a very even implement. It leaves a consistent mark, that is unique to the used device. Those holes, when placed in the right spots, can drastically change the feel, pain inflicted, and the mark left behind. The holes, when burred out safely, leave a stark and contrasted appearance that certainly add to the grandeur of such a spanking. The Size of the holes too, also adds to the impact, with small holes even causing pimple bruising.

But this also comes with a warning. That large change in pressure, from the uneven hits can cause bruising and even bleeding if you hit too hard. Just like with anything else, overdoing it can cause unintended damage and it is most apparent with a holed paddle. Because you have many more uneven spanking spots, bruising and welting that causes raised flesh in an unpredictable manner can result in blood blisters forming and being popped if un-attentative.

So what is it for you? Do you like holes? Do you want them? Or have you had bad experiences and are wishing to avoid them?

I like both. The larger holes leave bigger blisters but I have a heavy impact paddle, with lots of smaller holes and it leaves the most beautiful marks. I love the results when that paddle is used. Deep purple with contrasting marks from those holes. I have a small hickory paddle with holes and that leaves much bigger blisters. The big blisters take months to heal so I'm not always in the mood for that. I'd say half the paddles, that I own, have holes of various sizes and I maybe have 20 paddles. A solid paddle, without holes, can be nice too so I guess, for me, it depends what mood a Dom and I am in to which one that we select😀 And obviously the Dom is in charge so I rarely get much choice😂

• Like 2

Personally, I don't like drilled paddles and I no longer use them. I once owned a big oak one, hand-crafted by a friend, that was an exquisite piece of art. I could have enjoyed looking at it hanging on the wall for the rest of my life, yet I'm not fond of the damage they do to the skin and muscles. But that's just me.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, rubyredd said:

received_890990048035501.jpeg

I like the first and third paddles in your lineup here. If you don't mind me asking, who were the craftsmen? 

• Like 3

The first was made for me by a spanking friend - he no longer sells. The third one was given to me as a birthday gift bybthe same partner ovrr 15 years ago. He actually made the 4th one, too - it is a beautiful, thinner walnut paddle. 

I do some wood working along with my I other hobbies. I decided to do an experiment once and made 6 paddles, just pine paddles. All the same width, and length, but two were 1/4 thick, one solid one with holes, two 1/2 inch think one with holes one without. and two 3/4 inch thick one with holes and one without. I tried them all out on three different people, just to see the difference, and it ended up being just as you would expect. The lighter the more stingy, the heaver the more thuddy. As far as holes and no holes,  two  said the holes were a little more painful. and the third said the holes made a huge difference. I think everyone percieves pain differently, and only three folks in my experiment, so not a large sample, just a fun thing to try.

• Like 1
  • Oh and as a side note. I did this probably a year ago or so, and find I use the thinner 1/4 inch thick with no holes the most of all of them. But I like giving longer spankings and that just seems to work best for the majority that I spank. I only use the thicker 3/4 inch on one person, that wants that level of spanking.
On 3/16/2021 at 9:18 PM, rubyredd said:

received_890990048035501.jpeg

That second paddle, the oblong oval, that looks especially devastating wielded properly. That narrow profile is deceptive!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I like holes.   It's kind of like a fast car... even if you don't use a paddle to its full potential, it's nice to have the horsepower available just in case you need it!

I have selected to use a particular paddle w/ "holes" when I have asked for an explanation pertaining to a specific incident and found that there were "holes" (deception) presented within such explanation.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, MrBottoms said:

I have selected to use a particular paddle w/ "holes" when I have asked for an explanation pertaining to a specific incident and found that there were "holes" (deception) presented within such explanation.

I guess things start to add up, the longer that you go on with that paddle?😂 Talk about the punishment fitting the crime.

If you want to blister your spankee than I recommend paddles with holes. I prefer little paddles with holes for over the knee spanking . For larger paddles you don't need holes to punish your spankee.

I love paddles!  I think so mainly because they are made for one specific purpose in mind.  They can definitely be works of art for us spankos.

I make my own paddles, even though it's me on the receiving end. I take care making them and a good one can take many hours as they need to be well sanded and oiled. A smooth paddle won't damage the skin as easily and won't leave splinters, etc. As to holes or no holes, well that's  a personal thing. I don't have any preferences either way. If my wife has it in hand then I'm in for a red rump, no matter what. The last one built, only today, has seven large holes in it and will be left in the car.

18 minutes ago, polarbear150 said:

When giving or receiving a spanking do you have limits that cannot be crossed and are they clearly articulated prior to the session?  What limits do you insist on?

On 3/16/2021 at 9:09 PM, sassylittle said:

I like both. The larger holes leave bigger blisters but I have a heavy impact paddle, with lots of smaller holes and it leaves the most beautiful marks. I love the results when that paddle is used. Deep purple with contrasting marks from those holes. I have a small hickory paddle with holes and that leaves much bigger blisters. The big blisters take months to heal so I'm not always in the mood for that. I'd say half the paddles, that I own, have holes of various sizes and I maybe have 20 paddles. A solid paddle, without holes, can be nice too so I guess, for me, it depends what mood a Dom and I am in to which one that we select😀 And obviously the Dom is in charge so I rarely get much choice😂

I love to be black and blue for days. I ussally pefer lighter stinger wooden implements used on me. Less initial damage and can give a lot more and whack away go longer. Only way to get past my pain tolerance.