Spanking in sports?

I have always wondered if any players have been spanked by their coaches at college or maybe even pro level. Probably more rare these days but maybe in the past.. Corporal punishment was more popular years ago. And my thoughts are what if a old school coach who believed in corporal punishment and was a good high school coach then got a job coaching in college maybe he would still believe in the same methods.. I have heard of a female gymnast (I believe) who was spanked by her coach.

Hard to imaging that a walloping would help a football player run across the field the next day.  I think we all know that this thing, at least with coaches and coaches, is rare at least these days, as it would invite all kinds of liability.

On 11/8/2020 at 6:44 PM, Cavsalltheway23 said:

I have always wondered if any players have been spanked by their coaches at college or maybe even pro level. Probably more rare these days but maybe in the past.. Corporal punishment was more popular years ago. And my thoughts are what if a old school coach who believed in corporal punishment and was a good high school coach then got a job coaching in college maybe he would still believe in the same methods.. I have heard of a female gymnast (I believe) who was spanked by her coach.

There was a tennis player who’d get spanker by her coach (who I think was her father) when he thought she wasn’t giving full effort. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember a story from years ago about either a Female Olympic Gymnast or it might have been a Female Olympic Figure skater throwing a tantrum on the playing surface, and getting a spanking from her father, in full view of the cameras. It was one of the Olympics in the 60's as I recall.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, mikeae102754 said:

Oh and I just remembered Carly Simon. Apparently the pop star had a horrible case of stage freight. Before going out on stage, she had someone in her entourage give her a bare bottom spanking so she could perform.

That was well documented at the time, and she's admitted it actually helped her.  She's not the only performer that had strange pre-performance rituals, but hers is one of the kinkiest. 

• Like 1

College and pro level is very unlikely. Maybe way back in the day, but even then probably not. Picture a coach with a paddle confronting Ty Cobb.

Something like a female gymnast seems more plausible if not exactly probable. And that would be at least a few decades ago. High level female gymnasts compete at major events at young ages. Perhaps there were residential training and school academies that used corporal punishment back in the 70s, but I kind of doubt it for a couple of reasons. First, as a group they're very competitive and self-disciplined. They don't need the prospect of a paddling to motivate them. Second, they're extraordinarily tough. These girls play with pain all the time. It's not exactly rare for them to be at least training if not competing while nursing an injury. Things like falling face first on a balance beam just happen to them and they deal with it. They're also putting themselves out there in public all the time, so they have to be mentally tough and shrug off embarrassment. I can't imagine a group where spankings would be less effective. But that all said, because of the age and how common spanking was, maybe.

Maybe also something like a residential tennis academy for high school age kids. But I would bet the vast majority of sports related spankings were administered either by parents overly involved in their kids athletic pursuits or perhaps, temperamental, power-tripping high school coaches.

15 hours ago, wide_eyed said:

College and pro level is very unlikely. Maybe way back in the day, but even then probably not. Picture a coach with a paddle confronting Ty Cobb.

Something like a female gymnast seems more plausible if not exactly probable. And that would be at least a few decades ago. High level female gymnasts compete at major events at young ages. Perhaps there were residential training and school academies that used corporal punishment back in the 70s, but I kind of doubt it for a couple of reasons. First, as a group they're very competitive and self-disciplined. They don't need the prospect of a paddling to motivate them. Second, they're extraordinarily tough. These girls play with pain all the time. It's not exactly rare for them to be at least training if not competing while nursing an injury. Things like falling face first on a balance beam just happen to them and they deal with it. They're also putting themselves out there in public all the time, so they have to be mentally tough and shrug off embarrassment. I can't imagine a group where spankings would be less effective. But that all said, because of the age and how common spanking was, maybe.

Maybe also something like a residential tennis academy for high school age kids. But I would bet the vast majority of sports related spankings were administered either by parents overly involved in their kids athletic pursuits or perhaps, temperamental, power-tripping high school coaches.

The athlete I was thinking of was a Female Figure Skater named Sarah Hughes and it wasn't back in the 60's it was in 2002.