Kce89

Tabooness of Fetishes

So I was browsing Reddit today and stumbled on this chart on the sub r/dataisbeautiful showing how taboo sexual fetishes are considered. 

What are your thoughts on where spanking lays on the spectrum? How do you think the data would change if the spanking in question was to reflect the discipline side of things? Does it's position on the spectrum surprise you at all? 

Would love to hear what you all think. 

SF.jpg

I'm not even entirely sure what some of those things on the right-hand side of the chart are, exactly.  But it does seem reasonable from a general perspective.  Of course, those of us with an actual spanking and BDSM fetish are somewhere along this spectrum, so we're going to see it differently perhaps than a conservative vanilla person, right?  I don't make a habit of judging people, but sometimes, I am thankful that I merely have a serious spanking fetish, rather than being a scat freak or a pedophile.      

I don't know who all they polled to come up with this chart, but I'm glad to see spanking at the mild end of the spectrum. So to vanilla people we may be freaks, but we're kind of the innocents of the BDSM world. :D 

• Haha 1

Considering the conditioning I had to get over to accept my own interest in wearing and using diapers, I imagine it would be on the far right of that chart.

Spanking is vanilla as apple pie.  

I do wonder what people had in mind when they rated spanking - a gentle slap or two on the butt before/during sex? As you suggest, Kce, I wonder whether this would be the view of spanking if it counted a severe punishment strapping or caning... I suspect not.

That said, it is somewhat encouraging. If anyone accidentally outs themselves, or god forbid someone else does it through malice, this chart suggests the information would be met with more of a shrug than anything. Thanks for posting it. :)

Definitely a lot of things I didn't expect here. Really interesting to see. And nice to see that spanking isn't quite so taboo as we may thing.

I'd say the discipline side of things may come under the "dominance/submission" side of things. Which still seems to have a pretty favourable trend, depending on the gender doing the submitting. 

Why is sex outside of the missionary position even on here? 

I mean, that's still just plain sex, so vanilla.

On 7/23/2020 at 7:30 PM, Rand E said:

I'm not even entirely sure what some of those things on the right-hand side of the chart are, exactly.  But it does seem reasonable from a general perspective.  Of course, those of us with an actual spanking and BDSM fetish are somewhere along this spectrum, so we're going to see it differently perhaps than a conservative vanilla person, right?  I don't make a habit of judging people, but sometimes, I am thankful that I merely have a serious spanking fetish, rather than being a scat freak or a pedophile.      

I couldn't agree more. As hard as it is being a spanko, I couldn't imagine being on the far right (or near it) for that matter. 

12 hours ago, StrictGent said:

I do wonder what people had in mind when they rated spanking - a gentle slap or two on the butt before/during sex? As you suggest, Kce, I wonder whether this would be the view of spanking if it counted a severe punishment strapping or caning... I suspect not.

That said, it is somewhat encouraging. If anyone accidentally outs themselves, or god forbid someone else does it through malice, this chart suggests the information would be met with more of a shrug than anything. Thanks for posting it. :)

Absolutely! And I would have to imagine they imagine to be a slap or two during sex. I would be insanely interested to see this re-polled with fetishists and not vanilla. 

7 hours ago, Am123 said:

Definitely a lot of things I didn't expect here. Really interesting to see. And nice to see that spanking isn't quite so taboo as we may thing.

I'd say the discipline side of things may come under the "dominance/submission" side of things. Which still seems to have a pretty favourable trend, depending on the gender doing the submitting. 

I actually wondered about that myself. I also wondered if we would generally fall under the sadism/masochism side of things to vanilla people. 

5 hours ago, Bramblewine said:

Why is sex outside of the missionary position even on here? 

I mean, that's still just plain sex, so vanilla.

🤣 So true. I guess anything outside of missionary is considered a fetish now.

Thank you all for your feedback! I'll do some more research and see if I can dig anything else up on this. 

On 7/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, Chawsee said:

I don't know who all they polled to come up with this chart, but I'm glad to see spanking at the mild end of the spectrum. So to vanilla people we may be freaks, but we're kind of the innocents of the BDSM world. :D 

I suspect that a lot of those so-called vanillas fantasize about getting a nice sweet spanking from us perverted spankos.  They do not know what they are missing.  :P

• Like 1

Oh if only that were the case! How nice would that be? 

1 minute ago, Rand E said:

I suspect that a lot of those so-called vanillas fantasize about getting a nice sweet spanking from us perverted spankos.  They do not know what they are missing.  :P

That's for sure! Life on our side of the mountain is WAY more interesting... And on some level, they know this. :nodding: 

Also note that the authors characterized spanking as gender slanted, appealing to females far more than males.  I suspect that would ignite quite the discussion here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tactile said:

Also note that the authors characterized spanking as gender slanted, appealing to females far more than males.  I suspect that would ignite quite the discussion here.

Yeah I noticed that. I think males tend to be more vocal about it though only making it seem like Men want it more. If you notice it was almost 3-1 men polled over women though. Pretty crazy stat with those numbers. 

8 hours ago, Kce89 said:

Yeah I noticed that. I think males tend to be more vocal about it though only making it seem like Men want it more. If you notice it was almost 3-1 men polled over women though. Pretty crazy stat with those numbers. 

My suspicion is that the poll was correct. It can be very easy to get a warped view of the spanko community by looking only at spanking forums like this. While it's certainly not exclusive, I think spanking sites tend to get more traffic from people looking to find partners than they do from people who are already content with their situation. I think it's pretty well established that the hardest situation is for a male ee to find a female er, and the easiest is for a female ee to find a male er. So I suspect many female ee's are able to get their needs met in ordinary relationships, and are thus less likely to be vocal on sites like this. And, with all due respect to Chawsee and Christy, there just aren't that many female er's, so their voices easily get drowned out. That leaves males to make up the most vocal presence on the site. If one instead looks at spanking blogs, where people are often sharing their experiences rather than looking for others, my experience is that a majority of them are written by female ee's--which would also go along with the poll results.

Of course, my view may be entirely biased by projection from my own orientation (as a male er interested only in female ee's).

On 7/24/2020 at 10:34 AM, AfterGeometry said:

Spanking is vanilla as apple pie.  

What are you doing with Apple pie to make it as kinky as spanking?  😝

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DougK said:

My suspicion is that the poll was correct. It can be very easy to get a warped view of the spanko community by looking only at spanking forums like this. While it's certainly not exclusive, I think spanking sites tend to get more traffic from people looking to find partners than they do from people who are already content with their situation. I think it's pretty well established that the hardest situation is for a male ee to find a female er, and the easiest is for a female ee to find a male er. So I suspect many female ee's are able to get their needs met in ordinary relationships, and are thus less likely to be vocal on sites like this. And, with all due respect to Chawsee and Christy, there just aren't that many female er's, so their voices easily get drowned out. That leaves males to make up the most vocal presence on the site. If one instead looks at spanking blogs, where people are often sharing their experiences rather than looking for others, my experience is that a majority of them are written by female ee's--which would also go along with the poll results.

Of course, my view may be entirely biased by projection from my own orientation (as a male er interested only in female ee's).

Great insight and I think you are correct. It's easy for us to get trapped in a singular narrative - especially with only 1 site to judge from. 

7 hours ago, Megthe said:

What are you doing with Apple pie to make it as kinky as spanking?  😝

He's obviously Jason Biggs :D

• Haha 1