Sign in to follow this  
tryingit

Manager Values By Nationality

Please don’t wrongly think by posting this I am supporting negative stereotypes.  Fact is different nationalities have different characteristics that often are associated with them.  For instance, I’ve learned through experience with several people that if a manager is Italian, loyalty and perceived loyalty most likely is the most important factor of success working for them.

What do you think of a manager is Polish?  French?  Any other nationalities you’ve noticed have specific values that can be used as pointers for success working with/for them?

• Like 1

How dare you suggest different nationalities have different cultures and therefore sometimes differing emphasis on some values!  Jk

My experience with French working people is that they take their leisure time VERY seriously.  That thing that happens where it's the weekend and your boss asks you to come in on Saturday?  Doesn't happen as much when French people are involved.  

What do I think? I think this is one of the most ridiculous posts on SN. You are absolutely perpetuating stereotypes. 

21 hours ago, Wifey said:

You are absolutely perpetuating stereotypes. 

Most people from Brazil speak Portuguese, so if looking to get along with them, knowing a little of their language might help — stereotype.  (No, reject that stereotypical thinking and walk up to them and persist with speaking English in their face).

Many of those from Islamic countries and those from Jewish descent don’t eat pork, so if you want to invite one over for dinner to make friends, don’t cook pork since there’s a higher likelihood that eating such is against their convictions — stereotype.  (No, just be non-stereotypical and cook the pork and let them feel bad for rejecting).

How ridiculous will if get?  We use understanding of people’s values and culture to find out how to work with them all the time.  It’s only negative stereotypes that are a problem.

After all, this is the daily banter sub forum.