What do You Think of FetLife?

Chawsee

On 1/23/2021 at 9:59 PM, Chawsee said:

Any more comments about the topic of my original question... What do you think of FetLife? :D

----------------------------------------

I think it was well intention-ed at least originally, but like many things has become bogged down by many thousands of users that do not use the site anymore, but their almost blank profiles are still there.  I think of it as mostly profiles of people looking for something they won't find, because most people on there are looking to increase their "virtual-friend count" and compare their pirated photos to the next person.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's not very interesting.

There are quite a few funny people on there, which is good, as I would never take anything on there seriously.  I think of it as "AOL-Online with Body Photos".

• Like 2
On 2/22/2021 at 5:34 PM, Topspanker said:

That’s nuts. She is clearly a “baby dom,” real ones don’t act like that.

Not bashing the site nor those that use it, but from what I have experienced not really in the same realm as Spanking Needs.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, FLRspanker said:

Not bashing the site nor those that use it, but from what I have experienced not really in the same realm as Spanking Needs.

Kind of apples and oranges to me. Fetlife is more of a fully functional social network that's user friendly and, while it does have a considerable number of spankos, also branches across the kink world. I see this site as just kind of a message board or an online forum (with the added feature of a chat room, which Fetlife doesn't have). I usually spend a lot more time on Fetlife but SN is okay for what it is, too. Also, I think how good any resource is sometimes depends on the individual and their own needs/preferences. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 12:15 AM, Jenna1220 said:

My experience with FetLife is limited.  The site was mentioned to me a few years ago and I checked it out.  My interest is primarily spanking and I found FetLife to be too much for me.  As rubyredd mentioned, I had to look up some of what people listed as fetishes or groups they belonged to on their profiles.  I found it intimidating, however I did create a profile, explored and exchanged messages with a few men.  It was new to me and I thought I may feel more comfortable and adapt to the site by posting and engaging.  I didn’t.  I wasn’t able to understand and navigate the site in a way that worked for me; it just wasn’t my thing. 

Faxs

• 3 months later...

Fetlife is very dangerous. Especially for girls/women. Most of them get hurt by men on Fetlife. Maybe if you just browse and chat, you are safe, ladies. Beware of actually meeting any man in person from Fetlife.

I have been stood up by a woman from Fetlife on our first date, too. With no advance notice. Just a no show.

Your results may vary.

(But I know what I'm talking about)

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First off I am not a Fetlife shill.  I'm not that active any longer but that has to do with my retiring from the public scene.  Now to the point:

This is an interesting post.  I have been on Fetlife for over 12 years.  I found it when I was just coming back to the scene and I actually found it to be a good resource for meeting like minded people.  As a Spanko I was cautious, not because it looked weird or dangerous, simply what I would find.  I had been on many Spanking forum sites and quite frankly found the Spanking community frustrating to find a path into.  Soon after joining I started a Spanking centered Group that held first Munches and then Parties and became very well attended. I opened  2nd Group doing the same.

And the reality is if you want to meet people safely, going to munches and even events are the best way.  And Fetlife offers that in spades.   There is no better way to discover how safe you might be with someone than sharing a meal with other around. People tend to let their guards down and just be real and you get a chance to see how they interact with people. 

My experience was and is positive.  There were literally hundreds of people, the large majority new to the spanking and the scene itself.  I believe like any site you join there are going to be those you should stay away from, kinks you wouldn't dare think of yourself and yes it can be intimidating and frustrating at times but it offers a good deal of information and connection.  

I found this site quite by accident and the biggest difference I see is that there is a chat option. This appeals to me because I love actually talking in real time and I love role playing.  No matter where you go you should go with your eyes wide open and expect nothing more than a way to pass time and if you come across interesting people and experiences treat it as the cherry on top it actually is.   EVEN HERE.

• Like 2

Personally I like Fet for what it is.  I control my feed and what I see and what I respond to.  Hubbs and I use it as a resource to learn and find munches and events.  I also have a bit of a.broader list of fetishes.thab just spanking.  Haha the biggest thing I did that I was like "I think I did this wrong" was hit "follow" in a bunch of male spankers and female bottoms... Now my feed is full of spanked women butts ?. Any social site is about how you use it. 

I like this site better when I want more in depth interactions, but that one better when I just want to play around and not put as much work into it ?

• Like 1

If you limit your group memberships and your responses to peoples' questions to a 'manageable' level, FL can be somewhat educational.  There is a large number of members that endlessly ask inane questions.   I would prefer that people didn't post 500+ pictures of their groin area that are almost the same image.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

A few members upthread mentioned that FetLife required their phone number to join. Being careful to keep myself off lists where my personal info could be sold, I had decided ahead of time that it Fet required my phone number to register, I wouldn't join. But they never asked for it. ...In case this is helpful to someone else.

• 1 month later...

I was checking out fetlife and they require your phone number to register. If it is possible to find a group that gets together every so often I may go for it.

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2022 at 5:00 AM, Chawsee said:

A few members upthread mentioned that FetLife required their phone number to join. Being careful to keep myself off lists where my personal info could be sold, I had decided ahead of time that it Fet required my phone number to register, I wouldn't join. But they never asked for it. ...In case this is helpful to someone else.

Same thing here. I joined FetLife a week ago and was never asked for my phone number.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I just joined again only a few weeks ago just to see if there were parties around my area. Maybe try to meet new people in the lifestyle. Well to my surprise I had a lady to inbox me only two days in. We have been chatting about everyday and plan on meeting when she moves in October. So im not complaining. 

• Like 1

I have been on Fetlife for a few years now and met my Girlfriend,  EE on there we now live together. It has its place as long as you use it and are sensible with your expectations 

• Like 1