Chawsee

Embarrassed Saying the "S" Word out Loud?

Is there a feeling of embarrassment when you say the word "spank," "spanked," or "spanking" out loud? Does it send a shiver through you like no other? What is it about this particular word?? Other terms for the act, which more or less mean the same thing, don't have quite the same impact on me. Does anyone else here experience this? :wacko:

• Like 8

A word that conjures up many emotions. Not embarrassing but certainly evocative.

• Like 1

Maybe not as much as it used to but I think it still had a certain sense of embarrassment for me.

• Like 2

It certainly gathers my attention anywhere it is used irrespective of the context. I think it's natural because when we have a deep interest in something, it is only natural for us to be attracted towards that "something" every time we come across it in real life. Am I embarrassed to say it? I don't think I am. But then, I rarely ever say it ( I actually do not recollect ever saying it in a conversation) because "spank", "spanking", "spanked" are not common words that pop up in an every day conversation.

• Like 4

Spanking, as we view it, was always considered to be taboo. So, yes, saying it out loud does have that effect on me.

• Like 2

Most definitely, the word has ALL the power. :)

• Like 2

Yep! 

I completely clam up if anyone brings up the topic in "vanilla" life. 

• Like 6

It has always held lots of interest for me, from the time I was little and looked it up in the dictionary, or anywhere I could. Still today the word always peaks my interest, and draws my attention anytime I hear or see it anywhere. It used to be embarrassing to even admit the word or act had any interest for me, and I would try to act disinterested anytime anyone said it or anything  other spanking related words. Now, if I hear the work I try to engage the person that said it, and see what the context or interest they may have in it may be.

• Like 6

Just because I have a underlying sense of shame about my fetish, I very rarely utter these words.  And if I hear them used in a conversation I don't add any commentary.  But they do ignite feelings deep within in me.  No doubt they have a certain mystic. 

• Like 3

I actually mentioned it in a vanilla conversation with a colleague a few weeks ago ( in reference to a friendly discussion on we’d been punished as kids ). Her ears did prick up a bit when I told her I'd been given a spanking in front of the class but the conversation was just a general one. It is unusual for me to use that word in day to day life though.

• Like 2

That word definitely has a power over me. I actively avoid saying it, and even being around when someone else says it gives me that feeling. Like Spanknutt said, this is a bit of a taboo subject, so it's just difficult to say. And I think the fact that I do this alone right now and don't engage in or discuss this with anyone in my offline life adds to the sense of taboo. Some other associated words give me the same feeling, but it is definitely strongest with the word "spanking". Fortunately, it doesn't come up often. It makes me uncomfortable and stressed feeling like others can just see right through me when it's said...like they'll see how that word affects me.

• Like 5

The word feels so taboo to say. Hearing it said even gives me the shameful tingles. LOL

• Like 4

Definitely. It makes me feel on the verge of exposure. There's this sense that I might reveal myself through how I say it, like my voice might unintentionally stress the word and make my fetish obvious to everyone. Much worse when I was a kid, I felt like I would have revealed both an obsession and my vulnerability to it.

Why is "spank" so much more potent than "whip" or "paddle" or "belt" or whatever? Not sure, but the other terms seem a bit more limited to the physical act and the sensations, while "spank" somehow seems broader than that. It brings with it imagery of being emotionally overwhelmed, and thoughts about reduction of status, that by comparison, saying "I'll belt your behind" just doesn't convey. Taking a spanking isn't just getting a stingy and sore butt, it's being put in one's place by someone who has the authority to do so, the other words can be taken to mean that someone got their behind beat by someone who was either bigger or seized an opportunity. Maybe this is a bit of a reach, but if someone is spanked it's like the word suggests that it was right that it happened, that the EE was out of line and in need of a reality check. While with the other words, it could have been unjust that someone caught a beating. An EE can get an undeserved spanking too, but somehow the word kind of pushes that possibility a little too the side, makes it seem less likely.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, wide_eyed said:

Definitely. It makes me feel on the verge of exposure. There's this sense that I might reveal myself through how I say it, like my voice might unintentionally stress the word and make my fetish obvious to everyone. Much worse when I was a kid, I felt like I would have revealed both an obsession and my vulnerability to it.

Why is "spank" so much more potent than "whip" or "paddle" or "belt" or whatever? Not sure, but the other terms seem a bit more limited to the physical act and the sensations, while "spank" somehow seems broader than that. It brings with it imagery of being emotionally overwhelmed, and thoughts about reduction of status, that by comparison, saying "I'll belt your behind" just doesn't convey. Taking a spanking isn't just getting a stingy and sore butt, it's being put in one's place by someone who has the authority to do so, the other words can be taken to mean that someone got their behind beat by someone who was either bigger or seized an opportunity. Maybe this is a bit of a reach, but if someone is spanked it's like the word suggests that it was right that it happened, that the EE was out of line and in need of a reality check. While with the other words, it could have been unjust that someone caught a beating. An EE can get an undeserved spanking too, but somehow the word kind of pushes that possibility a little too the side, makes it seem less likely.

I completely agree.  The word Spanking to me sounds more maternal, intimate and caring.  
whipping, beating, even paddling for me  sounds more severe and less caring.  Even though the words can certainly be interchangeable for the same general session, they psychological differences for me is monumental 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Naughtyboy50 said:

I completely agree.  The word Spanking to me sounds more maternal, intimate and caring.  
whipping, beating, even paddling for me  sounds more severe and less caring.  Even though the words can certainly be interchangeable for the same general session, they psychological differences for me is monumental 

Very interesting perspective. I had not considered it this way before. Thank you! 

I think as well especially coming from a UK perspective that growing up if you told your friends ( especially as male ) that you'd be caned or had the belt there was an element of looking "cool" with that. Whilst saying you'd been given a spanking with that image of yourself over a parent or teachers knee with a bare bottom etc was deeply embarrasing. As an adult that embarassment factor is even stronger and just hearing that word does bring up a lot of strong emotions. Having that loss of control and not looking in the slighest way "cool" or "sick" or whatever youngsters say these days is kind of the appeal of being spanked as an adult for me. The language is very evocative for me

• Like 2

Yes. And every time I meet someone named, "Spanky" I wonder if it shows on my face! Livin' in a vanilla world...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chawsee said:

Very interesting perspective. I had not considered it this way before. Thank you! 

My pleasure, and really interesting topic.  Thanks for bringing it up 

• Like 1

Having it said to me in public has the intended affect. "Spanking" isn't what gets to me. Different terms for it can. Like "YOU need to be turned up!" "You need the Bad Girl Brush" is hard to hear. "Spanking dance" is.    The.     Worst.  So many really. Also when I'm visibly embarrassed-"Just a spanking doesn't work with you. You know that!" The fact that my S.O. is my age but looks and knows how to conduct themselves and will be made to look like a 16 year old without any trouble along with how I act will change. I will get whiny,upward inflection in my voice. And instead of trying more not to do that I give up and end up doing it more!. Getting too emotional and accidentally saying "Mama" or "Mommy" turns things into something that is intense. "Do you need a Mommy? It's OK honey." It's not an age regression thing. It's really a lot though. Not cruel,but the opposite. I'm not used to being treated too nice and I'll fight it even though I like it. When I'm treated like that I'll break down completely sometimes. I've even asked for it to stop so I can be treated like shit. I'm supposed to make them feel better 

For some reason part of me being punished is to turn me into a total Crybaby. I mean I do cry a LOT for a lot of reasons but crying that certain way-it doesn't happen often but if I might then it then the effort is made. Now I feel a way.

• Like 2

Omg, I thought I was only one out here who got a little weird shiver with saying it (aka spanking and the like) out loud. Samesies for the synonym type  that mean the same thing; they don't make me feel any type of way. It's only the word spanking, spank or spanked. I'm not sure why I feel weird saying the word out loud. I think that's one of the reasons I'd rather brat and act out than to out right ask for a spanking. As a spanko and a grown adult I feel I seriously need to get past it buuuuuuut liiiike that hasn't happened. I'm sorta kinda slightly okay with being patient with myself. It sure feels grrrrreat knowing I wasn't the only one. I kind of summed the weird feeling up to my sixth sense spanko spankee power taking over lol. But I'mmmm silly sooooo... shrug!

• Like 2

A close friend of mine casually brought it up. I was venting about how my life was taking a bit of a downward spiral at the time and he said something like " Maybe you need a spanking". He meant it in a completely casual/whimsical way, but  i was taken aback and  was quiet for a while.

• Like 3

"Spanking" conjures up all sorts of very specific images.  For a woman it involves, aong other things, removing her skirt or jeans, lowering her panties, coming over her spanker's lap, realizing that the sting she is about to feel is in the authority of her spanker.  No wonder the word brings a flush to a woman's face and shortness of breath.

• Like 2

Absolutely. I rarely actually say it. Even similar phrases or phrases insinuating I'm in trouble make me tremble and blush. "Do you need a red bottom?" The word spank is not used but I find that sentence worse most of the time. The absolutely most humiliating thing you can do to me during a spanking is make me ask for my punishment. "please warm my bottom" "I deserve a spanking" "I need a spanked red bottom". Makes me tremble now.

• Like 1

The sense of dread is the same however a spanking is referred to, but the embarrassment factor of having it named a "spanking" in public is twofold. As a word it stands out with it's hard P and K sounds, so someone casually overhearing my wife promising to put me over her knee when we get home might not realize what they heard, but if they hear her promising me a spanking when we get home, they will pick up on the distinctive word sPanKing. The second factor is the strong association for many of us with childhood spankings. The word immediately provokes a vision of the person tearfully kicking and wailing, OTK and bare bottomed. Caned, strapped, paddled often give a mental image of someone clothed and bent over for swats. 

• Like 2

I've noticed how some use the term 'smacking' instead to avoid these associations.