Question about PTSD

I haven’t been spanked for real since I was a kid. My childhood was pretty traumatic for me, I was physically, verbally, and psychologically abused by my mother. Ive been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and ptsd. As I’ve grown to accept the spanko part of myself, as it’s been strong and present, yet silent, for my whole life- much to my confusion- I’m delighted to find so many self accepting and affirming folks out here who live happy spank-filled lives, and I want in on the action. However....I’m worried it’ll be a trigger for my ptsd. And I don’t know how to go about exploring that. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this specifically, or has spanked someone who didn’t handle it well?

• Like 1

I have spanked others with PTSD and everything has gone well. It's not abuse unless it's non-consensual so hopefully it won't trigger a bad response. The other thing is, there are different kinds of spankings - discipline, stress-relief, sensual, just-for-fun, etc. and they all carry a different type of head space with them. You haven't really said what you are looking for from a spanking.

• Like 1

For many, context is everything.  One implement (say, a belt) may prove extremely triggering, as a result of past memories, while another (say, a hairbrush) may be exactly what puts the spankee in the perfect headspace.  And as mentioned by the previous poster, different scenarios will put you in a different headspace.  Some will even find that the thing that one might expect to trigger a reaction will, on the contrary, become the very thing that you crave (it can be hard to explain, but it happens).  You will discover more about yourself as you explore.  Remember to go slow and use safe signals and safe words and vet your partners carefully.  Others will have more good advice to offer.

• Like 1

I have PTSD. I am a Spankee and could easily be  triggered during a spanking. So far that has never happened. I agree that consent is key here. But also, communication is critical. Many people in spanking relationships do away with safe words (consensual non-consent) for discipline spankings, but because of my PTSD, that could never work for me. My wife—whom I completely trust!—and I have a safe word to use in case of trauma flashbacks or any triggers. I know I can at any time withdraw consent. That knowledge has managed to help me keep the triggers contained. 
Good luck!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, EmmaR said:

I haven’t been spanked for real since I was a kid. My childhood was pretty traumatic for me, I was physically, verbally, and psychologically abused by my mother. Ive been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and ptsd. As I’ve grown to accept the spanko part of myself, as it’s been strong and present, yet silent, for my whole life- much to my confusion- I’m delighted to find so many self accepting and affirming folks out here who live happy spank-filled lives, and I want in on the action. However....I’m worried it’ll be a trigger for my ptsd. And I don’t know how to go about exploring that. Wondering if anyone has dealt with this specifically, or has spanked someone who didn’t handle it well?

Jillian Keenan literally wrote the book on this. It is called "sex with Shakespeare" I cannot empathize enough how much reading this will help  impact on your association with spanking in regards to childhood abuse. Once upon a time spanking enthusiasts, were classified under the DSM 4 as masochistic personality disorder.  And although they've eliminated that, you will find a lot of people use this lifestyle, helping them cope with such traumatic experiences with great success. Much like a rape victim has a potential to develop a rape fantasy, that is associated with an element under her or his control.  lessening the impact of the actual violation.

• Like 3

I have PTSD from childhood. It has been triggered by this activity many times.  I have to be very careful who I see and very explicit about what they can and can’t do.  Unfortunately, I learned about my condition in a painful way that has had a lasting and negative impact on my life.  I have to steer clear of sadists or anyone with a remotely sadistic affect or attitude. 

• Like 1

The most important thing is to get to know your spanker well enough to truly and fully trust them. I have had panic attacks while being spanked. For me, it came from not trusting the situation. In that situation, you may not be able to say your safeword, I didn't even think of it, but my distress was very clear. Thankfully, in my situation, the EE stopped, but not everyone does. You would do well to discuss this ahead of time. Ask how they would respond if you started having a panic attack, if you suddenly stopped reacting to things, or however your PTSD manifests. Formulate a plan together. But never get spanked until you are confident that you can trust them when you are at your most vulnerable. 

• Like 2

I have no direct experience with PTSD in spankings, but suspect the trigger has more to do with the tone and manner of the spanker than choice of implement or position.  By their very nature spankings place a person in a very vulnerable situation.  Those with PTSD, panic disorders or anything remotely similar just need to have a higher level of trust in their spanker.  On the flip side it is incumbent upon the spanker  to remain extra vigilant for any signs that their spanking partner is in any form of distress.  Just be sensitive that even overemphasis of a potential mishap may in fact make it more likely.  Instead of relying on some scripted path through this thicket simply become more aware and sensitive to all that you can observe and react quickly, positively, compassionately and appropriately.

• Like 1