Living Without Social Media

After debating the decision for a while, I recently went through with deleting all of my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Being in my mid-twenties, social media has been a regular part of my life for 12, 13 years now. But I am finding that I don't miss it at all...in fact, no longer having accounts on those sites is actually a bit relieving for me. It has been very freeing to just be connected with truly close family and friends through phone and text. It has been very freeing to no longer feel obligated to hang onto the thread of online connection with people who are no longer a part of my life, and who I would know nothing about if we weren't "friends" and "followers". It's wonderful to just be connected to those who are truly a part of my life.

Mostly, it's wonderful to not be stuck in the image struggles that social media often has attached to it. I no longer find myself comparing my life to those of people I haven't seen in years. I don't find myself trying to measure up to the highlight reels of others. I don't judge my life or appearance by what others post of themselves. I know the lives of those close to me, I can connect to them in a much more personal way, and I can view my own life from a much healthier perspective. 

Of course, I am still on here and will remain so, as I do like having a place to connect with others with this particular interest. But this is a site where I can be as anonymous or known as I desire. It's a site where I don't know anyone outside if this forum, and I am not left comparing my life, appearance, etc. to other members as I scroll through every few days or so.

But as for the general social media of our world...I don't see myself returning anytime soon.

• Like 4

I have Facebook, but no twitter or instagram or anything else, except LinkedIn. I use Facebook rarely. I do not trust it for any information, I don't trust its privacy or security settings. If I'm on once every couple of months just to see what w=those close to me, who I don't talk to frequently are doing, it's a lot. I almost never post anything about myself, in the end who really cares what I'm doing or how I feel on day x.

Good for you. I wish my wife would drop it, she's always on facebook.

• Like 1

Good for you.  I deleted Facebook in 2012 or so.  People literally thought I was dead, and panicked when my profile was no longer there.   Like they couldn't believe somebody would actually want to do that on purpose.  It was astonishing.  (Now it has become more prevalent of course.)     I like Twitter and think it's a great tool for keeping up with current affairs and the news, but I don't do any tweeting or follow friends.   I have an anonymous Instagram account just for checking out pics of interest, but again, I don't post anything personal or follow anybody I know.   I think you have the right idea, thanks for the thread.  

• Like 2

I deleted Facebook in July of last year, and while I have lost contact with some friends as they aren't e-mailing me, I think my life has improved for getting rid of the largest internet time suck I had. While I still waste time on the Internet, I don't do it for nearly as long as I did when I had Facebook. I have a YouTube account, and I am going to start posting videos at some point, but I mostly have it so I can keep up to date with the people to whose channels I've subscribed. It's nice to get to actually know people in person and not pretend that you don't know something that you do know because you already read it. The other upside is that I no longer see a link to something I actually want to read, then a second later it's replaced by something else, and then can't find the thing I actually wanted to read again.

• Like 1

I have never used Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter and quite honestly can't even understand the attraction of those.  Too many people can't live without them.  As others have pointed out, why would anyone even want to know all those things about people they never see face to face?  It's not even logical for such websites to exist. 

I'm trying to cut back the time I spend on Tumblr following Age Regression communities as its far to easy to be posting, liking and reblogging things not least cute cat memes and find the clock hands have moved several times round the dial.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I kept being hacked while on Facebook with duplicate profiles so I ditched it there's such a bunch of unscrupulous dodgy 'A' holes out there in cyberspace!

....obviously not all 'A' holes just the ones trying to constantly scam innocent non techie dummies like moi! 😯

download.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Good for you, Amethyst_Moon. I gave up Facebook two years ago. At first I experienced terrible withdrawal, but once I got past that stage, I no longer missed it. I've never had Instagram, Twitter, or SnapChat. They each have their place, and for many, especially those with family afar, social media can be a wonderful tool for keeping in touch. I didn't need it, however, and am happy to be free of it. A site like this, where we share, support each other, and embrace our commonality, is so much better.

Social media can be evil. People hiding behind screens, saying things they wouldn’t say to your face. It’s easy to enjoy social media, without drama ,because of the blocking option.  Anyone that causes me stress,becomes blocked. Problem solved. 

• 1 month later...

I think for many of us it's a smart way to go. Hell I have a hard time just keeping up with email. While I did have a Twitter account for a couple of years mostly to follow politics and current affairs I got rid of it a month or so ago. I only followed a handful of people but there was just too much content and a fair bit of nonsense.

In a way I like that FaceBook is around so I can get on a friend's account once or twice a year and check in on some people to see how they're doing. But that's as much as I want out of it. I like knowing that old friends and acquaintances are doing well. They can humble brag all they want. I'm happy both that they're choosing to share their good fortune with their loved ones and that they have had that good fortune in the first place. But I also know that seeing this on a daily basis wouldn't be good for me psychologically. In a way it feels like poor hygiene, letting something into my mental environment that will shorten my attention span, prompt comparisons to others and self promotion, and subjects me to a lot of dubious information

I much prefer an older version of the web, before social media, where there was more privacy and more of the content came by way of forums and blogs.

• Like 1

I briefly had Facebook becauseit was suggested as a way to keep up with some of my master class colleagues from the Santa Fe photographic Inst. When I started reading about what invasions of privacy Facebook committed, I canceled it. It was quite eye-opening how difficult it was to do this and how many things they had buried in my phone. thank goodness, I never gave them my phone number, which most people don't know  is the primary way that advertisers and others track you. once you give your phone number out, there is no longer any privacy. Thank goodness I didn't do this.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I still have Facebook, but not actively using it anymore, only messenger every now and then to say hi to a few very dear friends that live in other countries. And I use it for a few games I play so I can save the progress ;) Twitter I also have, but not using it either, not been there for years, so not even sure if my account is still online there :D

When FB started many years back it was enjoyable and I met awesome people I still am connected with, but it has all changed. And the privacy thing is also a big issue there.

I can't imagine myself being on social media every day like so many. That would be a nightmare instead of the other way around, like many people think a life without social media isn't possible... It is... it's called real life :D

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2019 at 5:48 PM, Amethyst_Moon said:

After debating the decision for a while, I recently went through with deleting all of my social media accounts: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Apologies for digging up an old post if any are required,  but it holds great validity considering today's social outcry in America and elsewhere.

Personally I have no accounts on any 'social media',  indeed this site is as close as I get to being 'social' these days in internet terms or physical life ... The older I get the more anti-people/society I become. Whilst I am not a technophobe and have no issue with progress, I have no 'smart phone' and only a simple cell phone which is chucked in a draw 99% of the time. But then, neither do I talk on a land line either these days.

My wife Dr Z does keep up with some other professionals she knows on FB or actually, mostly Twitter ... But she posts very little professionally and basically zero personally. The world has social media but it is not ready for it, no one really knows how to control it ....  Meanwhile much academic research is being undertaken into it's effects, as many people are becoming aware of the vast social and political damage it is doing.

Social media is creating deep issues because now instead of 'Jim' waxing lyrical down the pub and lying/expanding a story to his two mates.... Now he spews forth his utter ignorance on the internet. But even worse,  now 'Tim' wants to appear important, so he makes up even better lies. Then Mary, then Fred, then Lotte and so forth ..... In 10 minutes of frantic posting across the globe,one can easily go from "This immigrant man was a little rude to my mum in the supermarket (he wasn't) to ...  'Some immigrant bastard threw my mum off a moving bus doing 50 kph!!" Which didn't come close to happening. In truth, there was no bus and the poster is an orphan, but what has facts got to do with social media?  ... So now there is always a new band wagon to jump on, so they do until the next one comes along or they make time to swallow a Tide pod for breakfast.

Take the glorious 'Red' & Green' thumb systems that abound ..... Clicking on either is not an opinion. It is not a valid action, it means nothing if Mr X gains 1 million Red thumbs or 1 million Green.

People, the masses; they like watching executions, they like extreme activities as long as someone else is hurt, and they very much like these oft mindless 'band wagons' ... That feeling they get of being a part of something bigger (We'll not get into Human Hive Theory) ...... If one reads  'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany'  written by American journalist William L.  Shirer, a book which holds mostly facts and some of his personal experiences of the earlier days of the 3rd Reich  ..... An entry sees him describing how one night he attended a rally at the Berlin Sportpalast when Hitler was speaking ... Shirer was deeply set against the NSDAP regime and all it was doing ... But even he says that the sheer power of the assembled people, all chanting for Hitler ... made him wish he could feel what they did, believe in that moment what they did.

Social media is enabling the very worst facets of human behaviour to shine bright, but it is also confusing people ... If you believe for example that BLM, as I and others have for decades  ... Then surely protest if you must, but what really matters is that people vote ... They have to vote .. It is the establishment which defines social direction ... Never the protestor unless full on revolution happens and for that the USA would have to have a military junta take over.

Help others to register to vote and then make sure that they vote .... Social media in reality is creating issues, starting bandwagons but providing no answers.

People need to stop 'thumbing' up or down .... They need to educate themselves instead.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Drave said:

Apologies for digging up an old post if any are required,  but it holds great validity considering today's social outcry in America and elsewhere.

Personally I have no accounts on any 'social media',  indeed this site is as close as I get to being 'social' these days in internet terms or physical life ... The older I get the more anti-people/society I become. Whilst I am not a technophobe and have no issue with progress, I have no 'smart phone' and only a simple cell phone which is chucked in a draw 99% of the time. But then, neither do I talk on a land line either these days.

My wife Dr Z does keep up with some other professionals she knows on FB or actually, mostly Twitter ... But she posts very little professionally and basically zero personally. The world has social media but it is not ready for it, no one really knows how to control it ....  Meanwhile much academic research is being undertaken into it's effects, as many people are becoming aware of the vast social and political damage it is doing.

Social media is creating deep issues because now instead of 'Jim' waxing lyrical down the pub and lying/expanding a story to his two mates.... Now he spews forth his utter ignorance on the internet. But even worse,  now 'Tim' wants to appear important, so he makes up even better lies. Then Mary, then Fred, then Lotte and so forth ..... In 10 minutes of frantic posting across the globe,one can easily go from "This immigrant man was a little rude to my mum in the supermarket (he wasn't) to ...  'Some immigrant bastard threw my mum off a moving bus doing 50 kph!!" Which didn't come close to happening. In truth, there was no bus and the poster is an orphan, but what has facts got to do with social media?  ... So now there is always a new band wagon to jump on, so they do until the next one comes along or they make time to swallow a Tide pod for breakfast.

Take the glorious 'Red' & Green' thumb systems that abound ..... Clicking on either is not an opinion. It is not a valid action, it means nothing if Mr X gains 1 million Red thumbs or 1 million Green.

People, the masses; they like watching executions, they like extreme activities as long as someone else is hurt, and they very much like these oft mindless 'band wagons' ... That feeling they get of being a part of something bigger (We'll not get into Human Hive Theory) ...... If one reads  'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany'  written by American journalist William L.  Shirer, a book which holds mostly facts and some of his personal experiences of the earlier days of the 3rd Reich  ..... An entry sees him describing how one night he attended a rally at the Berlin Sportpalast when Hitler was speaking ... Shirer was deeply set against the NSDAP regime and all it was doing ... But even he says that the sheer power of the assembled people, all chanting for Hitler ... made him wish he could feel what they did, believe in that moment what they did.

Social media is enabling the very worst facets of human behaviour to shine bright, but it is also confusing people ... If you believe for example that BLM, as I and others have for decades  ... Then surely protest if you must, but what really matters is that people vote ... They have to vote .. It is the establishment which defines social direction ... Never the protestor unless full on revolution happens and for that the USA would have to have a military junta take over.

Help others to register to vote and then make sure that they vote .... Social media in reality is creating issues, starting bandwagons but providing no answers.

People need to stop 'thumbing' up or down .... They need to educate themselves instead.

I am getting fairly hostile toward social media as I age.  It seems just a forum for people to opine on opinions that were whackadoodle from the start.

I mirror your sentiments above but i think you left something out.

Why is social media so big?  How can FB have a valuation larger than the GDP of most countries?  

Because unlike previous media this is 2 way communication.   As you like or dislike or follow you are getting dissected.   

Some of it is innocuous.   Maybe an advertiser wants you to use their product.  Some of it is not.  

What we find is that our opinions are not entirely our own.  We can and often are coaxed.   And that's ok, that's how the brain works..well..sort of.  No one knows how the brain works, least of all me.

But think about how social media can lead you to believe that everyone is doing "X."  Because a few incidents get magnified.

Images get corrupted or even altered easier thann in old style broadcast media.

Bots exist to make you think that someone has throngs of people following them.

And because of this power it influences and when you can influence you have unlimited funds to work with.

Anyway, I dont think social media is inherently evil.  I just think that you dont let a private company have such influence without some safeguards.

• 2 weeks later...

For me the social media was never a problem. no twitter, instagram accounts but i have facebook account that i don't care about most of the time. It is used just for contacts to some people but in very small amount. I find social media of that type boring to bigger or lesser degree. For chat communication i use a program called session that work in lokinet.

I am, as you might expect, a technological troglodyte.  I do have a Facebook account, which I hardly ever use except to send birthday wishes.  I can't see the value of telling friends I am eating Mexican food right now or sponsoring the latest conspiracy theory.  So I applaud Amethyst (many months later) and urge my friends here and otherwise to speak or write to people who really count in our lives, not some anonymous crowd.

• Like 1

I know I already posted on this topic, but now when I see "Facebook zombies" I actually feel sorry for them. Seeing people who could be interacting with their eyes glued to their phones. The phubbing is real. Unfortunately, I don't think it's intentional. I think they're so engrossed in whatever they're looking at that they don't even notice they're ignoring the people around them.

Still Facebook free and I feel much happier for it.

• 1 month later...