What music are you currently listening to?

Bubby

I am sure I am off the mark of just about all your tastes.  I am a jazz lover, and I have reached back to the basics.  Presently (really, as I write) I am listening to the Armstrong Hot Fives and Hot Sevens of the 1920's, probably the most influential music of the twentieth century.  If you haven't heard his stop-time solo on "Potato Head Blues," you don't know what you're missing.  I am also listening to Thelonious Monk ("Evidence." a minimalist masterpiece, and "Monk's Mood" with John Coltrane), Lester Young (all his recordings with Count Basie), and Ben Webster (his innumerable recordings of "Stardust" and "Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster").  If there's anyone here with similar interests, let's talk!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Chastener said:

I am a jazz lover, and I have reached back to the basics.  Presently (really, as I write) I am listening to the Armstrong Hot Fives and Hot Sevens of the 1920's, probably the most influential music of the twentieth century

I like Jazz as well although I'm not too knowledgeable. I like some of the Miles Davis stuff and being a very amatuer Bass player ( rock and punk mostly ) I like stuff by Jaco Pastorius and Stanley Clarke as well.

2 minutes ago, ukspanko said:

I like Jazz as well although I'm not too knowledgeable. I like some of the Miles Davis stuff and being a very amatuer Bass player ( rock and punk mostly ) I like stuff by Jaco Pastorius and Stanley Clarke as well.

To ukspanko:

If you want to hear some incredible acoustic bass playing, I'd suggest "Lester Young and Kansas City Six," especially the first tracks with Walter Page.  Also, just about any Modern Jazz Quartet recording to hear the incredible Percy Heath.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Misterfirmhand said:

Minnie Ripperton- Come To My Garden

I always hated her big hit "Loving You", but discovering she was part of the almighty Rotary Connection helped me overcome me aversion. This is her first solo LP and it is not unlike RC, but with more soul and less psych.

download.jpg

A more modern woman, with a haunting voice, is Amy Lee. This is one of my favourites:

Blondies Greatest Hits because they have great singles but boring albums. She looks great on Plastic Letters. Music that everyone loves but it maybe scares them. Things are things and I'm obsessively playing Resident Evil while being stared at. I cant talk without sounding all scared. Actually I stopped playing the game and I'm laying my head down trying to be normal not make them worry. I want to make thing ok but I can't do that. It's not fair but the one that is angriest will have to. Regret by New Order is on. I was listening to Death Grips? No Death Grips. 

Charles Manson talks about having all the nickels as an intro. I didn't know it was Charles Manson. I thought it was just a PMC from The Toyota Wars. 

The Exploding Hearts 

Guitar Romantic

I crushed on them so hard.

Their van flipped on the highway going to a show killing 3 instantly. One lived. Not a scratch. He never got his shit back together.  

The Single would have been Sleeping Aides and Razor Blades. Or Shattered. 

They make Significant Others irrationally jealous even though they are dead. Actually probably more because they are. You can't compete with dead. They're on YT.

71DzZgzCCUL._AC_SL1425_.jpg

Wildflowers & All the rest by Tom Petty, 2020 3 lp version. Originally issued in 1994, this just has some great playing and on the record very natural wide ranging sound joined by ten tracks Warner Bros didn't want on the album for cost issues but restored to this edition.