Any tips for goal setting?

Hello Everyone-

I wanting to make my goals more achievable for myself and not simply set myself up for failure.  I have a new list (as of this morning),which is more specific, but still a bit daunting when I look at it.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on setting goals?   Or even simply "don't do's".

Thanks

I think the most important advice I can give is a valuable one to me that I also tell those closest to me: Do everything you can to achieve your goals...but keep them realistic and if you find you've deviated slightly, don't beat yourself up about it. I have friends who make many goals and resolutions and if they find they're off track even slightly, they look at it as failure and sometimes those goals can go right out the window. I say keep a positive outlook always and just learn when to recognize when you're off track and don't give up when you've come to the realization. Everyone is human and with that can come error, but keep the perseverance strong and I don't see any reason why you shouldn't come out a winner. :)

Also if the list appears daunting, take it one step at a time; if you start off too strong, you'll exhaust yourself. Everything comes in time and I find focusing on one thing at a time can help for implementing a positive change. Persevere and don't give up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bha said:

Hello Everyone-

I wanting to make my goals more achievable for myself and not simply set myself up for failure.  I have a new list (as of this morning),which is more specific, but still a bit daunting when I look at it.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on setting goals?   Or even simply "don't do's".

Thanks

Small steps. One goal at at a time.

• Thanks 1

So if I’m reading all of these right the common thread is- small goals/steps and don’t give up. 

On 1/22/2019 at 10:46 AM, a-mw-spanker said:

Small steps. One goal at at a time.

One goal at a time is a little hard for me right now. I have a handful of things I’m working on.. and broke each into smaller more achievable things...

7 hours ago, 12HolePaddle said:

And perhaps also a visual reminder of every failure? ?

I think if I had a visual reminder of every time I failed- I’d never get back up again. Struggling enough to not quit when I fail..or don’t achieve my own goals

• Like 1
On 1/23/2019 at 11:47 PM, Bha said:

One goal at a time is a little hard for me right now. I have a handful of things I’m working on.. and broke each into smaller more achievable things...

I completely understand where you're coming from. It seems like every part of my life is out of control. And every part seems so urgent. What I have learned with my head but not learned how to do it yet is that you still can't take it all on at the same time. I would always tell myself but I was going to take one goal at a time and start with the most important. Every time, I would start with one goal but then Panic about the rest of my life falling apart and try to attack of those areas as well. The problem is what happens when you do that does you don't succeed with any of your goals. At least if you concentrate on one at a time, one has a chance of success. When you try to concentrate on everything at the same time, it is highly unlikely you will completely succeed in any area. I'm not saying ignore the rest of your life, but maybe try attacking one goal at a time with a vengeance and trying just to sustain where you're at with the rest for the time being, just not letting anything get worse. Once you succeed at the first school, you can add something else in.

If you're only taking a few things though and not trying to attack everything, and if as you've said, you have broken them into small steps, maybe you just need someone to hold you accountable - maybe somebody that can remind you of your successes, not make you feel buried under any failures.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gingerlee said:

I completely understand where you're coming from. It seems like every part of my life is out of control. And every part seems so urgent. What I have learned with my head but not learned how to do it yet is that you still can't take it all on at the same time. I would always tell myself but I was going to take one goal at a time and start with the most important. Every time, I would start with one goal but then Panic about the rest of my life falling apart and try to attack of those areas as well. The problem is what happens when you do that does you don't succeed with any of your goals. At least if you concentrate on one at a time, one has a chance of success. When you try to concentrate on everything at the same time, it is highly unlikely you will completely succeed in any area. I'm not saying ignore the rest of your life, but maybe try attacking one goal at a time with a vengeance and trying just to sustain where you're at with the rest for the time being, just not letting anything get worse. Once you succeed at the first school, you can add something else in.

If you're only taking a few things though and not trying to attack everything, and if as you've said, you have broken them into small steps, maybe you just need someone to hold you accountable - maybe somebody that can remind you of your successes, not make you feel buried under any failures.

Gingerlee,
I think am focusing on too many things at once.  I feel they are all achievable, but... perhaps for right now I need to focus on one or two things... then add more after a bit....

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing a little goal setting exercise weekly since I was a kid. Now my kids do it. A couple of my siblings still do it.   Here it is:

I have two white 3 by 5 notecards taped to the corner of my mirror. On one I have written my goal to be completed for the year (if I reach it I add another long term if I want or go without a long term till Jan). The other notecard has my short term weekly goal that I update on Sunday’s. 

I have saved them in two different boxes in my dresser for almost 40 years now. It is touching and amazing to go back and read them. 

Currently on my mirror:

Interview for a Superintendent job

(This means certifications all in order with the state. Then applying and getting the interview for at least one position even though I don’t think I want to leave my current position.  Last month I sent all the paperwork in to the state, so getting there)

Weekly: All evidence of trip put away. 

(Kids and I went away for a long weekend vacation out of state last weekend... laundry needed done, suitcases put away.... I am known for letting suitcases be around for weeks after a trip).

-This one is done!  Will update new weekly goal tomorrow. 

I am not spanked for missing a weekly goal unless I ask for it.