Spanking Needs Forums

Essays/Lines

Most of us know that not all punishments work for everyone.  I came across someone complaining of lines that they had to do.  Saying how stupid they were.  What a waste of time they were.  They could be doing something more productive with their time.  The obvious solution to that problem would be to not continue the behavior that got you those lines to begin with.

Anyways, I'm just curious as to if people think lines or essays are an effective punishment.

I'd also like to get a rough idea of what it is you assign?  Is it merely 100 lines or do you do more like 500?  When it comes to an essay is it a few hundred words or a few thousand or do you not assign a number or words but a number of pages?

• Like 3

It can be quite effective given the relationship with the person giving you the task. Especially while sitting on a freshly toasted bottom.

Having such a "boring" or monotonous task can also imprint itself in a way so you do not want to have it repeated in the future.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Poison's said:

Most of us know that not all punishments work for everyone.  I came across someone complaining of lines that they had to do.  Saying how stupid they were.  What a waste of time they were.  They could be doing something more productive with their time.  The obvious solution to that problem would be to not continue the behavior that got you those lines to begin with.

Anyways, I'm just curious as to if people think lines or essays are an effective punishment.

I'd also like to get a rough idea of what it is you assign?  Is it merely 100 lines or do you do more like 500?  When it comes to an essay is it a few hundred words or a few thousand or do you not assign a number or words but a number of pages?

I was just talking about how horrible and stupid writing lines would be, not 5 minutes ago! With my husband...why can't I ever just keep my mouth shut? Also, unrelated but, I owe you a BIG thank you on some advice I took that changed my life for the better. So, THANK YOU!!

• Like 2

I am a spanker, not a line-giver.  It would never occur to me to assign lines.  If I were to administer discipline outside of spanking, it would involve something specific to a goal.  For example, taking away sweets from someone who is not meeting their weight-loss goal.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Spanknutt said:

I am a spanker, not a line-giver.  It would never occur to me to assign lines.  If I were to administer discipline outside of spanking, it would involve something specific to a goal.  For example, taking away sweets from someone who is not meeting their weight-loss goal.

You may seriously be one of the only spankers that I've run across to not believe in assigning lines or essays.  Your logic behind it makes perfect sense to me!

9 hours ago, kittenfire said:

I was just talking about how horrible and stupid writing lines would be, not 5 minutes ago! With my husband...why can't I ever just keep my mouth shut? Also, unrelated but, I owe you a BIG thank you on some advice I took that changed my life for the better. So, THANK YOU!!

No, no, no girl!  Never share information!!!  LOL!  I have a problem keeping my mouth shut as well.  We may find that you and I get along greatly!!  I'll assume you are speaking of the post where I suggested a schedule and then suggested maintenance?  No thanks needed at all.  I'm always glad to help where I can.  I've come across plenty of hurdles myself over the years.  If that's not what you're referring to, please enlighten me.

I suppose I should have answered this question myself as well.  I've had lines and essays with previous mentors.  Lines normally ran around 500 and I'm honestly not sure if they helped.  I can say I still remember word for word the first line I got and that was years ago!!  Essays were typically 500 words or more and either was due by a certain time.

My Dom has never assigned lines and I don't know if he ever would.  He's had me do a few.  One was due within a few hours and I can't recall the number of words.  Another was 500 words due by the next evening.  The other (doing it now) is five pages on respect and it's due tonight.

As much as I hate doing essays, I do believe they have been beneficial for me.  It gives me time to focus on a certain topic and really dig deep so to speak.  I've learned the reasoning behind why I do certain things that I haven't had a clue on in years.

• Like 3

My Top usually doesn't assign lines but I journal nightly and have writing assignments based on either things I want to change or something that is bothering me as part of journaling. This makes me look deeper inside myself to find answers. This has helped me greatly. My Top sets no word or page limit. Lines only work if they agreed upon prior to Top assigning them as a possible discipline method. With that being said not every method of discipline works for every person or relationship. To me lines need to fit the crime to make bottom think about doing said action again. As a bottom I don't feel bottoms should whine or complain if their Top has assigned a certain discipline method. Hopefully they have set the boundaries of their relationship with their Top and accept the lines, writing or journaling given them. I feel bottoms that complain are just looking for attention. .

• Like 3

The operative phrase is "not all punishments work for everyone".  Just like corner time, lines don't have the same effect on every single person. I'm a TOP that makes it my business to know what is effective and what isn't and I would never "assign" a task to someone just because I can.  That being said ... lines can be very effective as a punishment  and I have used that myself in a few cases. But it's just one of the "tools" I use to modify behavior or an attitude that is counter-productive.

• Like 1

I had to do many lines as a student. Usually they are given as 100 times but I once had to do 500. Same sentence over and over. No they were not effective, Just finger cramping and annoying.....don't even remember what I wrote!

I think if you had to write something over and over, them maybe a specific math formula that you always get wrong. Or paragraphs about important history events....you know where I am going here. Do something useful....not inane drivel.

I have assigned lines on occasion but not very often. In conjunction with corporal discipline, I am also inclined to incorporated paragraphs, essays, book reports or even memorization in some cases, which ever applies to a particular incident and which can create a memorable impression with positive affect. As for writing lines, they are imposed as a deterrent, or better yet, an incentive. They are not supposed to be pleasant or even useful.

"If you don't enjoy writing lines, then don't do the crime". 

The effectiveness of a punishment isn't a good indicator of whether or not it's good. There are plenty of effective punishments. "If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime" also isn't an indicator of whether or not a punishment is good. 

Anyway...I think writing can be beneficial when it really encourages thought. I also don't think there should be any opinions being expressed. If I ever found find someone I'm in charge of using drugs...I'm going to expect a balanced research paper on the pros and cons of doing those drugs, and (especially) the risks. What are the long-term effects of using those drugs? Is it addictive/habit forming? How much do they cost? How much would a typical addict or regular user spend in a year? How long must one stop using these drugs to pass a drug test? How long of a jail/prison sentence would one face for being caught with these drugs? What consequences could it have for the rest of the family? How would a drug-related conviction affect educational and employment opportunities? How long would one have to wait before these convictions are removed from your record (trick question, never unless you're under 18). 

I don't care if they're sorry, or how bad they feel. I want them to make informed decisions. This is also useful as a disciplinarian; a paper that doesn't fully explain the cons and risks reveals gaps in knowledge. How the writer discusses the benefits of using drugs reveals their motivations. 

What I don't support is writing as a punishment. Writing shouldn't be a punishment. Exercise shouldn't be a punishment. Eating vegetables or going to the doctor shouldn't be a punishment. These may be assignments, but they're behaviors that should be encouraged. Writing is a necessary life skill, and I think it's foolish and counter productive to intentionally assign dull writing assignments designed to make the writer feel unstimulated. Example:

On 8/13/2017 at 9:00 AM, Poison's said:

...five pages on respect and it's due tonight.

I don't know enough context, but just based on the context I do have, this isn't something that sounds productive. I'm hoping this is in response to a specific incident or pattern of behavior, otherwise it just sounds like busywork. Depending on how much freedom you have...it would be a good idea to examine why you're having to write that paper in the first place. How did you misbehave in a way that made your dom determine you lack respect for others? What changes could you make to your lifestyle or outlook that would help with these behaviors?

• Like 2
On 8/14/2017 at 10:24 AM, kaycee77025 said:

Complaints about punishments used to get me brussell sprouts out of a can ........ spoon fed if needed

Lol, yuck!

22 hours ago, bi_kellie said:

The effectiveness of a punishment isn't a good indicator of whether or not it's good. There are plenty of effective punishments. "If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime" also isn't an indicator of whether or not a punishment is good. 

Anyway...I think writing can be beneficial when it really encourages thought. I also don't think there should be any opinions being expressed. If I ever found find someone I'm in charge of using drugs...I'm going to expect a balanced research paper on the pros and cons of doing those drugs, and (especially) the risks. What are the long-term effects of using those drugs? Is it addictive/habit forming? How much do they cost? How much would a typical addict or regular user spend in a year? How long must one stop using these drugs to pass a drug test? How long of a jail/prison sentence would one face for being caught with these drugs? What consequences could it have for the rest of the family? How would a drug-related conviction affect educational and employment opportunities? How long would one have to wait before these convictions are removed from your record (trick question, never unless you're under 18). 

I don't care if they're sorry, or how bad they feel. I want them to make informed decisions. This is also useful as a disciplinarian; a paper that doesn't fully explain the cons and risks reveals gaps in knowledge. How the writer discusses the benefits of using drugs reveals their motivations. 

What I don't support is writing as a punishment. Writing shouldn't be a punishment. Exercise shouldn't be a punishment. Eating vegetables or going to the doctor shouldn't be a punishment. These may be assignments, but they're behaviors that should be encouraged. Writing is a necessary life skill, and I think it's foolish and counter productive to intentionally assign dull writing assignments designed to make the writer feel unstimulated. Example:

I don't know enough context, but just based on the context I do have, this isn't something that sounds productive. I'm hoping this is in response to a specific incident or pattern of behavior, otherwise it just sounds like busywork. Depending on how much freedom you have...it would be a good idea to examine why you're having to write that paper in the first place. How did you misbehave in a way that made your dom determine you lack respect for others? What changes could you make to your lifestyle or outlook that would help with these behaviors?

As I said, essays are beneficial to me.  My Dom never assigns me things that aren't productive.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, kaycee77025 said:

Brussels sprouts are supposed to be good for you.

I've been told by a few people that spankings are good for you too.  That doesn't mean I have to like them lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lines writing may be effective, however, it may do more harm than good at times. Writing lines can be seen as a mundane way of wasting time. Whenever someone is asked to write lines, they are going to do it with at most frustration. They aren't gonna get anything from writing lines,rather,left with some wasted time and sore hands maybe. It can also be beneficial if done properly, I don't know how though.

• Like 3

I receive lines and essays, usually when we are not together for a period of time due to his travel. Lines are for childish behavior (sic), essays are deeper. I find essays beneficial after a few minutes, as I really start giving it some thoughts. I use them not just 'to give him what he wants', if I have doubts and questions I use that vehicle to express them as well. They evolve in a therapy of sorts. Lines represent ultimate boredom for me, still in a way I must admit that they are an effective punishment. I get angry with myself for wasting precious evening time and will try hard to avoid them.

• Like 2

I would like to point out (especially to tops who might think lines are important and should be part of the punishment), when some people (including me) say "lines are a waste of time", it actually is. Being a student with a very busy schedule, I have actually talked with my top so our punishment/funishment/pure fun time should never go over (on average) a certain amount of time per day. Things like lines or essays would actually cut into my schedule and would not be beneficial at all.

Guest Warwick

My previous mentor used essay writing a couple of times with me. Usually after a spanking. I found them effective as it got me to focus on the issues being dealt with.

• 2 years later...

Writing out lines and such was tried out of frustration with me but didn't really get far,caused a scene where the best of intentions turned into a breakdown but did end up me talking about things more and the other asking questions that-well I thought no one cared enough or it was just how things were. I guess the point was to get me to write and then I could write about things I have problems explaining. I get it if I can think about it but it can be hard.