Spanking Needs Forums

Anonymous Mental Health Survey

Do you have a history of mental illness? For this survey, includes: Depression, Anxiety, Schizo, Bi-Polar Disorder, OCD, Paraphilias, ADD/ADHD, PTSD, Substance Abuse, or other genuine psych concerns.  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a history of mental illness?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have a history of childhood trauma? Physical abuse/neglect, sexual abuse, major illness/injury, grief or separation, witness to domestic or other violence, etc.

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a history of self-harm behavior, not including spanking?

• Yes
    • No

Based upon discussions here, I have been wondering what the prevalence of mental health concerns are among spankos.

This is really directed toward EEs, but ERs are welcome to answer, too.

• Like 2

I'm not answering yet but I would find it interesting but what I would find more interesting but impossible to gauge accurately is how those compare ER/EE/nonspanko. 

Oh...boy.  'Mental Illness' is such a broad category of everything and nothing.  I have doubts if Anxiety, Paraphilias, and Substance Abuse constitute actual mental illness at all.(Shrugs) ...controversy abounds.  Yet one glaring omission on that list for me would be Aspergers/Autism Spectrum Disorder.  Since I became involved in spanking-related forums about 10 months ago my interactions with and knowledge about "Aspie's" folks has gone thru the flipping ROOF.  Quite intriguing correlation between Aspies/ASD/Spankoism in my anecdotal findings.

Overall very worthwhile area to investigate. Fascinating. I just slightly quibble with what actually falls into the 'mental illness bucket.' 

• Like 1

The 'bible' of mental health disorders, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5®), Fifth Edition, was updated in 2013 and naturally addresses many of the syndromes cited in the initial question.  Interestingly, Autism is given a lot of expanded attention, but Aspergers Syndrome (you aspies know who you are, or maybe you don't) was removed from the DSM-5.  This caused a lot of consternation in the affected community, since it impacts access to care and services.  That is leading to a closer call on the fine line sometimes between Autism and Aspergers, since the diagnosis is entirely based on presented behaviors, not blood, fluid, or tissue testing.  I have some perspective on the autism community, and  I would say I don't see any correlation between people on the autism spectrum, including aspies, and a fascination with spanking pleasures.

As I grew into adulthood and after I got married and my need to be spanked got to be too much, I always thought something was wrong with me. I thought I was a strange creature. Then when I finally spoke it over with my hubby, he assured me that there were others out there who felt the same, so I shouldn't worry about it. I began to Google the word "spank" and a whole new world opened up to me. I was surprised at how diverse the spanking community was!  I began to see how experiences branched off into so many different categories....spanked for fun, spanked for discipline, spanking as a fetish, a need to be spanked for correction, spanked to release emotions as in therapy, light spankings for fun, hard and long spankings that are almost at a torture level - I was so amazed! I then had to ask myself, Where do I fit in in all this?  I had to begin to understand and figure it out for myself.  It's been such a trying time. As I said, I thought for the longest time that I thought I was suffering a mental illness just because I felt this need to be spanked!  

I really don't feel that things that happened in the past has led me to want to be spanked, though. Maybe the lack of discipline while growing up is what gives me a hunger for it now?  I really don't know.