Better to have it and not need it

Switch89

Switch89....Think about it this way ...isn't your goal here to make connections and possibly find a spanko girl who could join your household as a babysitter, or something close to it?   Well the likelihood of that happening greatly diminishes the more you engage in these sorts of controversies.  I suggest engaging the community in a more humble and open-spirited manner. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Switch89 said:

Again, I really don't know where you are going with this.  The attacking is what I felt was going on because in my opinion no one is discussing about firearms, gun-free zones or anything, it is solely against me and the words I chose.

Have you ever heard the phrase words are powerful? 

• Like 2

TemperedBrat, I see a quote of myself that I posted, however, I don't think I was being rude when I said that, as I already apologized for using certain words on the second comment.  It was afterwards where no one is legitimately talking about my position and stance in regards to something that I actually hold in my heart very dearly.

No... Because further down in the last paragraph I said you can private message me with your negativity... I like having a one-on-one discussion sometimes, especially to see where you come from and not leaching off of others responses.

Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home.
43 percent of homes with guns and kids have at least one unlocked firearm.
• In one experiment, one third of 8-to-12-year-old boys who found a handgun pulled the trigger.

Hell, the links are there anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol well I always keep my firearms in a safe, although Indo carry. I have carried on 2 deployments, never once have I had not anyone around me have an accidental death, so in all reality, that goes with the "responsible gun owners" (sarcastic, they are the less irresponsible owners).

11 hours ago, Switch89 said:

Lol I am just saying, I have had certain training not everyone gets

OK, if you want to really discuss this, I think THIS point is worthy. 

You say that you have military experience, you've carried weapons on deployment, and that you are a "responsible" gun owner who keeps his weapons secured or properly holstered/slung, etc.

Would you at least agree that only a very tiny sliver of the American population has military or LEO experience?

I took a CCW class, and frankly, it made me feel very uneasy about the concealed carry and open carry laws. It was basically one day in the classroom, where gun handling/cleaning, safety, and legalities were all crammed into not NEARLY enough time (which didn't matter, because everyone in the room already had strong opinions about these things and thought they were experts), and one day on the range, where people had to be CONSTANTLY reminded not to point their damn weapons at anything they didn't want to shoot, and all they had to do to prove "proficiency" was basically hit a target a few times at close range. And now all those people have a permit to walk around in free society with a deadly weapon concealed in their underpants.

Nobody failed the class, by the way -- not even the "former Navy SEAL" who constantly pointed his weapon at people as he turned toward them on the range to correct their technique.

When you add that horrifying experience to the fact that MOST people who keep firearms in their homes have never had ANY formal training or experience with firearms, do not know how to properly secure their weapons, and do not practice to maintain their proficiency on a regular basis (if ever) -- then yeah, I'm all about gun control laws that introduce some sanity to this situation. For starters, reasonable gun control laws, in my opinion, would include requiring AT LEAST the same amount of training and testing required to do other potentially dangerous things -- like, say, driving a car.  Reasonable gun control laws would also require every gun owner to carry liability insurance -- again, just like responsible car ownership. Further, I think all gun sales and exchanges should require a background check just like the one that's required when a weapon is purchased from a retailer. And no, I don't think any reasonable person needs to stockpile weapons and ammunition, have high-capacity magazines, or be allowed to frighten people and incite high emotions by strutting around town with an AR-15 slung over their shoulder or a .45 hanging from their hip like they just walked off the set of Gunsmoke.

Gun violence in this country is a REAL PROBLEM. Guns are too accessible to the wrong people, and we should be paying just as much attention to what has become a very real public health concern as we are to the people who think they are part of a "well regulated militia" (as outlined in the Second Amendment). I don't have answers to the problems, but I sure wish we would elect some folks who are willing to actually study and address the issues without being intimidated by the NRA's ever-increasing hysterics.

I happen to be a Life Member of the NRA, and when I was growing up in a rural area, the NRA was all about gun safety, education programs, and sports (like hunting and competitive marksmanship). I used to teach classes for them, was in their competitive shooting programs and have a ton of marksmanship medals and badges, etc. But now the NRA is just a front for firearms manufacturers who use them to whip up hysteria so they can sell more weapons. It's a shame -- they used to be a decent organization that did a real public service. I tried to quit them -- sent them a certified letter like they required and everything -- but I'm still on their rolls. My guess is that their active "membership" stats that they use to influence legislation is grossly inflated and includes lots of people just like me who don't consider themselves to be members anymore.

And that's all I'm going to say about this issue. 

• Like 5

Okay, you do make some valid points, however in the state of WA, you don't need to take a CPL class, you only have to be of age, get you fingerprints taken, pay and wait 30 days.

So correct me if I'm wrong, if the CCW class you had partaken in were more restrictive, as they are in any Hunters Education class I have seen here in WA state (automatic dismissal in regards to safety violations).  Now I do agree, we have irresponsible gun owners who have a "I know what I'm doing because I have a gun" type crap, I've seen it and it disgusts me, accidental shootings to their own leg only whole at the range (only seen it on YouTube, not in real life for that one) and yes I know everything about yelling at people who do not control their muzzle.  I've instilled this with my children as well, from BB guns to center rifle cartridges to include an AK I lawfully own.  They know before someone is walking down range to set up a target, the firearms get cleared (magazine out, chamber cleared, slide locked to the rear) and at that point no one touches it, hell, don't even look at the thing lol.

I also said "who meet certain criteria," I never said what ideas I am willing to discuss.  I do believe there are firearm classes that are excellent in different types of shooting.  One of which I am planning on taking just because it is quite interesting reading into it (kind of off topic).  However, I never said anything about open carrying a rifle, I believe in handguns for daily carry's, but rifles? Not so much, it's not like we are living in another country where it is almost necessary to have a rifle slung around (most of them however carry in the low-ready because violence from neiboring country's are so popular).

My take, on a specific style of class for teachers in my opinion, would obviously include how to properly use the firearm you intend bringing, but also the specific technique to protect the children.  For example, as soon as word comes out of an active shooter on the premises, get the kids away as far as possible from any doors, if time permits, barricading the doors to add extra time to create a backstop in front of the children.  Ammunition is more prone to ricochet low to the ground, so ideally you want to remain low at the same time you don't want to lay all the way down.  Ideally, getting behind some sort of wall, layers of hardwood, etc (against backstop).  If the active shooter decides to enter your classroom even after realizing there is a barricade, then you would be ready for him and be able to protect the children.

High capacity magazines don't affect anything.  Granted, I don't own any 75 round AK drums, but I do have magazines ranging from 10 to 40 RDS.  Even if you got them off of the shelves, they would still be in the hands of assailants and those who do not wish to or care to follow the law due to their own criminal intent.  However, a magazine has never killed anyone, three 40 round magazines carry just as much as six 20 round magazines, and a magazine change only takes a couple seconds.

Now moving on into the legally definition of the second amendment, at the time this was written, the Militia were civilians.  Now the National Guard as some people will say is "a well regulated" militia, but at the time the Constitution was written, these were also everyday civilians.  The people were part of an unorganized militia, and in turn, could "self-regulate" in training to shoot more accurately, learn military tactics, "self-control" etc, but it doesn't say anywhere in the Constitution that we have to be part of an "organized" militia.

In accordance with Title 10 USC Section 311 defines Militia as

"

(a)
The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b)The classes of the militia are—
(1)
the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2)
the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia."

So you do not have to be in the national guard, air national guard or any "organized" militia groups to be part of a "well regulated" militia. 

So I do agree we have a problem, I also agree that we need to change stuff, but I am not going to say restricting law abiding citizens is the right answer, but maybe there should be longer, more in depth classes for those who show lack of self-discipline.  It sounds like the CCW class was, respectfully, garbage that there was no failures for being a safety violation.

Summary so there is no confusion:

-Agree with different set up of classes to be designed in better self-control

-Agree there's a problem

-Agree I don't carry a rifle as a daily carry

-Disagree with a ban on high capacity magazines

-Disagree with a more restriction on "assault rifles" or any other form of rifle

-Different position in regards to the 2A

If I missed anything in the summary, I apologise.

Well, from where I sit, you just agreed with a Liberal Democrat that we need some reasonable gun control. We may not agree about every point, but you have proved that we can all find some common ground if we're willing to quit pigeonholing people long enough to look for it. 

Can we get back to talking about spanking now?

• Like 2