Counting Swats

Guest Warwick

I don't like counting either. I've had the whole 1 thank you Ma'am.. 2 thank you...etc type spanking before and found I was focusing more on that than the spanking itself. I can understand being given a set number of strokes with something harsher like the cane though.

Counting swats is just a mere distraction and it doesn't add any more effectiveness to the spanking ( in my opinion). It takes away the concentration of the spankee in counting swats rather than thinking about his/her mistake which has led to the spanking being happening. Additionally, it is much better when the spankee doesn't know how much more swats that has to be endured by him/her. It increases the "butterfly" feeling in the stomach, makes the overall "correction" more effective

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, Mistah_switch said:

I don't like using counting, the focus should be the spanking itself and not the number of swats imho. It makes it so much more effective to me if you don't know when it's gonna end. Setting like "20 swats for x infraction" just sets a price to commit it instead of a punishment. 

Ah Mistah_Switch there's the rub: within my group of male-to-male spankers, counting is PART of the equation. How so? Simple: when I am topping someone and I know that boy needs much time with me, I will have him count in such a way that guarantees he will be punished for some time, such as counting backwards, or by counting by threes or some other number. Now when I am the bottom, THEN I agree that counting is not any fun; butt then again: I want more spanking and am happy to mess up.

George Lust

I'm not crazy about counting when I'm on the receiving end, but for lengthy spankings I think that it helps me endure more. Counting can also keep me off guard. My first mistress did not always tell me that she expected me to keep a count, sometimes asking me mid-spanking how many licks had been given. And the rule was if I miscounted we would start over. She rarely told me ahead of time how many licks I was due either. We had a constant question and answer going on as well.

This developed bonding and trust between us and to this day I find it hard to develop such a story bond with my spanker as I had with her.

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2017 at 3:09 PM, bi_kellie said:

If I'm being spanked, I absolutely have to know the number of swats ahead of time, or at least a cap (that I'll assume is how many I'll get). Full stop, I wouldn't sign a contract without reading it, and I wouldn't agree to a spanking if I didn't know what it would involve. Especially since some folks on here just don't understand what's appropriate for different implements...I had someone want to give me 900 swats with a paddle, which would have sent me to the hospital at least. 

It might be different for lighter spankings, hand spankings, etc, if you trust the person. Otherwise, I don't think it's responsible to agree to something without knowing a limit. An alternative to number of swats might be stopping at bruising, but that's subjective too. 

As a spanker, I'm more flexible...but it will generally depend on what the other person wants. I prefer to lay everything out ahead of time. Either way, I think it's a good idea to have an objective target in mind when starting. When you get caught up into a spanking, giving or receiving, it's hard to think logically. 

That gets back to trust.  As a full-time spanker, I only give a definite number of swats or "licks" when recreating a school paddling (or something similar) where there was a defined punishment for various infractions and the spankee wants to relive it, or in some cases fulfill a fantasy concerning it.  It's not easy to give up that level of power to someone else if you've known them well for many years, much less a disciplinarian one meets online.  That's why I always meet the person--usually multiple times, in a public setting and discuss everything.  Once we get to setting up a session, and the lady is across my reconstructed knee, I don't count, but I don't get caught up in the moment.  I am fully aware of every twitch, moan, catch in her breath, and every shade pf color.   More important than observation is of course, the limits laid down before the spanking ever starts.  A woman knows better than anyone else what her pain limit is, and I know---some want a relationship with a spanker who will "push her boundaries".  If that's their thing, God bless  'em--go for it.  I am there to provide a service, and when the girl says the safe word, that ends the session. Or, if we have multiple words (green/yellow/red) where yellow is "it's almost more than I can take", then I slow down, or take the opportunity to remind her why she is over my lap, with her bottom on fire.  Scolding can happen while delivering swats or during a pause, and still be effective.  "Red" means she needs a breather.  Some tell me they want to use it to let me know that they can't handle any harder or faster swats, so I try to stick to that pace.  Others  use it to let me know they'd prefer I not concentrate on a specific area.  Women are remarkable at knowing their bodies.  I can use a standard belt, and the sting is moderate but not unbearable, but a young lady told me once during a strapping "Oh, that'll leave a bruise".  She didn't mind marks, but I didn't use much force and said "I didn't think the stroke was that hard."  But sure enough, next morning her bottom had some marks but the most prominent bruise was where the belt wrapped around and caught her just above the sit spot.  I'm sure a lot of folks will say this is allowing topping from the bottom (much as I dislike that phrase) or that it gives all the power to the spankee---no real "exchange" of power occurs.  To this I say, "you're mighty well told it does!'   Anyone who doesn't realize that ALL the power truly rests in the hands of the one who is getting his or her behind blistered is either deluded, a sadist, or lives where slavery is legal.   And if the spanker DOESN'T know this, I suggest he have a very good attorney or keep careful records of correspondences, because if the spankee you are with utters the safe word and you decide in your infinite wisdom, that she can take more and deserves more punishment, you deserve whatever legal clusterf__k you get yourself into.  Well, THAT certainly went off on a tangent I wasn't expecting :)  Really I only meant to say that:   1. it's hard enough for anyone with a sense of independence to hand a cane, hairbrush, paddle, etc. over to another and give permission to wear her bottom out.  So anyone who would suggest 900 swats with a wooden paddle has no more business with a paddle than a sociopath has with a gun.  And  2:  I DO think the spanker has an obligation to keep his or her wits and, for lack of a better word, remain stoic.  You are responsible for how the spanking turns out, so be aware of everything---extreme squirming might be normal for some while others are fairly still.  KNOW your spankee.     

• 2 months later...

Wow.  This is an old thread.  But a good topic.

We are talking about strictly disciplinary spanking here, right?  My wife and I have a coDD arrangement.  

If the main issue is the number of swats that constitute the punishment, I like it to be fairly predetermined based on the infraction.  Let's just say I like to have some "sentencing guidelines" that put some guardrails on the severity of the punishment.  I think this helps to tamp down the emotional elements that can be in play depending on the infraction, preventing it from becoming erratic and inappropriately severe.  Although we adhere to the notion that it's under the control of the ER in a disciplinary situation, we have not had situations where the punishment was out-of-bounds as viewed by either of us.  Maybe a little harsh sometimes, but within reasonable discretionary limits.  Also, there is enough ER discretion to the number of swats that the EE can't really know quite when it is over.

As far as counting swats out loud during the punishment, I'm not a fan of that.  We don't do any of that "thank you sir can I have another" or any such formal responses required of the EE when receiving discipline.  I like the responses to be genuine.  A simple "That hurts!"  and "I'm sorry" are plenty good enough.  A little pleading for mercy helps too.  Genuine remorse is what is called for.  Crying is definitely a good sign of genuine remorse, although I have to admit that I have a tough time handling it when my wife cries.   

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I usually don't make a young lady count when I am spanking her, but I have done it on occasion. It is very good at deepening her submission, especially when she has to thank me for each one. So "1, Sir, thank you, Sir. 2, Sir, thank you, Sir ..." puts her in an extremely submissive frame of mind, and is good for those who need help getting to that place. I may make her count 20 swats, but I don't say that is the end of the punishment. Then we go into the non-counting phase, where I decide when the punishment is over based on her reactions.

tony

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 9:49 AM, OTK-DADDY said:

I NEVER have a girl count swats when she is over my knee... To me it takes away from the spontaneity  of the Spanking....

I agree with this, even as a spankee. I’ve never had to count swats and I’m glad.  It would ruin the mystery of what’s going to happen next.  It’s more nerve wracking when you’re kept on edge.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 11/1/2016 at 3:58 PM, Poison's said:

I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but it's been quite some time.

If you're a spanker, do you assign a certain number of swats per defense? Do you assign a certain number for moving? Do you have whoever you're spanking count out the last 10 or 20?

Why or why not?

I don't receive a specific number for anything. We did try things that way a few years ago and I found myself focusing more on how many swats I had left, than concentrating on the reason I was being punished in the first place.

Well, im with everyone else on this one. Although, Im so hypocritical, lol.

When Im the ER, its the not knowing that makes it a real spanking. I judge when it's enough basied on the condition of thier composure, the behind and if thier still fighting it or not. 

Now as an ee, im alway fussing as I'm unbuckling my britches about how many I'm going to get. Did this a lot when I was in my twenties. My ER at the time was real nonsense. I ussally kept asking her how many whacks she planed on giving me while unbuckling my belt as slow as possible. I just wanted to know so I can hold out until she finished. But no matter hoe many times. I qiuld be I asking, fussing and begged her to tell me how many she planed to give me or how long it was going to be, she tell me the same thing everytime. . . .

"The isn't a birthday spanking. This is a real spanking. It's an unlimited swat spanking and your getting all of them, now, take'em down!"

She never gave room to be be secure in a specific number, I just had to take whaever she felt like giving. And yes, it is the NOT KNOWING that makes it a real spanking.

Never had to count my swats either, could never count that fast and I was alway in too much distress and panic state to keep track.

I think counting swats or timed spankings, for a punishment spanking, is a cop out and the best Doms don't use them. For example, I'm going to give you x amount of swats or x amount of time, distracts majorly from the spanking! If I was given either for a punishment, I'd be just looking at it like " oh, this is easy, I only have to tolerate this for so long or so many." I certainly wouldn't be learning anything! If I don't know when it would end, then I'd be concentrating more on the lesson that he's trying to teach me.

I have never had a timed spanking but have counted swats. My current Dom sometimes uses counting but they aren't punishment spankings and it's just for his sadistic pleasure, like wise when he decides that I can take more and starts adding to the previous number. 50 becomes 100 and so on. I'm experienced enough to know that he's just doing it to so that he can get off on torturing me... I have learnt one thing... that he's a sadistic S.O.B😂

• Like 1

When I'm spanking I often count to myself but I don't make the one I'm spanking count. I sometimes decide before I start spanking how many swats it will be, often I go with 50 but if there is any disobedience during the spanking more strokes are added. 

In some of my "fun" spankings near the end we negotiate a number of swats so that there is a final challenge, and there isn't a sudden end to things.

In the last spanking I had ( what seems a lifetime ago) I was getting the birch. Near the end my mentor asked me to count to 60. It wasn't per swat, it was a timed thing. She started delivering strokes (without a pause between them), and I started counting. I rushed through to 15 as fast as I could, but as I got used to the pain I slowed down my counting and even paused sometimes.  This was an interesting way to give me control of how much longer we went. If I couldn't take much more, I could have counted to 60 with lightening speed. But I wanted it to last and so I went slower. I wouldn't want this kind of control every time, but it worked that day, so sometimes it would be fun. 

• Like 3

In general, I don’t like the idea of counted swats, or a predetermined number of strokes. It defeats the point of a punishment for me, which is that it will continue until my ER decides it will stop. The whole point of the exercise for me is to submit and give up this control. It will end when she feels I have shown the appropriate level of contrition for my offense, or if for stress release, when she feels I have reached my limit and have had enough for her tastes.

I can see the the idea of possibly mixing the two, possibly at the beginning or in the middle of a spanking, such as “the next six are for X, count them”. However the idea of the punishment ending with this simply makes no sense in my mind.

2 hours ago, Spankinlyfe said:

In general, I don’t like the idea of counted swats, or a predetermined number of strokes. It defeats the point of a punishment for me, which is that it will continue until my ER decides it will stop. The whole point of the exercise for me is to submit and give up this control. It will end when she feels I have shown the appropriate level of contrition for my offense, or if for stress release, when she feels I have reached my limit and have had enough for her tastes.

I can see the the idea of possibly mixing the two, possibly at the beginning or in the middle of a spanking, such as “the next six are for X, count them”. However the idea of the punishment ending with this simply makes no sense in my mind.

I feel the same about knowing how many.  I don't want to know in advance, cus then I can take comfort (or feel dissappointment) in knowing the end is near.  I do like having to count for part of it though.  If I am resisting mentally, counting helps me not be able.to focus on resisting or controlling my reactions. 

Haha wait! Story time!  Earlier I tild my hubbs "thats it, 10 spanks for you Mister!" ... He scowled ajd ordered me over the side of the bed saying "and since I don't want them, you can have them!" *SWAT!* over my jeans with his hand.  Then he made me count and say thank you and ask for another.  We were only going to 10 I believed and they were over my pants with us I hand so didn't hurt... So at 8 I *miscounted* repeating number 8.  😈😜  And he said... "Start over!".  So I did... Amd this time I  counted 1 three times in a row.... Then he yanked my jeans down and grabbed the paddle. I didn't miss any numbers after that and on number 10 I said "10! Thankyou Sir and please, I would NOT like another".  😂  Then i behaved for about 20 minutes.  Lol

Counting Swats that depends on what type of spanking I am giving my husband. Because of my husband juvenile status in our marriage, he must address me as mommy when I am spanking him. If he is getting a hand spanking or paddling across my knee ,the swats are to quick so I don't expect him to count. When he is getting a spanking with a paddle bent over a chair or sofa, I expect my husband to count and say thank-you mommy after each swat. I am taking time out of my day to discipline him and this is showing me respect by counting and address me correctly. I expect him to be polite and take his punishment that he deserves.  Ms L

• Like 1

The only time I like to have someone count swats is when I am using my school paddle.  My only purpose in having them count then is to know they are in position and ready for the next.  I do not want someone moving out of position as I am swinging a plank of wood at their butt.  Counting is not a hard and fast rule though.  There is one girl I recently started paddling who does not move out of position and has communicated that counting is distracting to her and she she wants to concentrate on a reason for the paddling.  She assumes the position so nicely.   

• Like 2

I impose a certain rule of designate swats for certain situations:  

Ex:  language mgmt penalty [1 swat per letter per incident]. 

time mgmt penalty [1 swat per minute/hour/day/etc per incident].

$$$ mgmt penalty [# swat per $$$ denomination (all of which are depending upon my charitable mood) 🤨].   

The uncounted { No Worries, I manage the counting task} swats allows the freedom to reflect & dwell on the moment. 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:04 AM, Megthe said:

Haha wait! Story time!  Earlier I tild my hubbs "thats it, 10 spanks for you Mister!" ... He scowled ajd ordered me over the side of the bed saying "and since I don't want them, you can have them!" *SWAT!* over my jeans with his hand.  Then he made me count and say thank you and ask for another.  We were only going to 10 I believed and they were over my pants with us I hand so didn't hurt... So at 8 I *miscounted* repeating number 8.  😈😜  And he said... "Start over!".  So I did... Amd this time I  counted 1 three times in a row.... Then he yanked my jeans down and grabbed the paddle. I didn't miss any numbers after that and on number 10 I said "10! Thankyou Sir and please, I would NOT like another".  😂  Then i behaved for about 20 minutes.  Lol

Sounds like he deserved a spanking and you let him turn the tables on you.  I think you need to follow up with him on that.  Otherwise, he is not going to take you seriously.  Go find him and let your inner dom loose on him!

And please include the details in your next story time.  :)