Catharsis By Her Hand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Location:SE Mich @ iSwat - Institute Spanking Wisdom And Technology

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

This quote, from another thread...

How does a stress spanking compare with a punishment spanking. Is it less severe & how is it given?

... got me thinking about how I could describe the difference between stress-relief and punishment spankings, as I give and receive them. In this explanation, I recognize that I don't consider the very important differences in environment, soothing vs. lecturing talk, and the like - this only addresses the spanking.

A bottom has a "pain threshold," below which the pain is acceptable and above which the pain becomes agony and to be avoided. Also, as a spanking proceeds, that threshold of pain increases, so that a blow of a certain strength in the midst of the spanking will hurt less than that same blow at the start. Indeed, the concept of "warm-up" gradually raises the bottom's threshold of pain to better withstand harder blows later. Figure 1 shows this concept. Pain is indicated by the vertical position of a point; number of blows received by the horizontal. The threshold is low (but above zero) before the first blow ("1" in the figure); it increases with each blow, until it eventually reaches a ceiling (2 - "numbness?").

Posted Image
Figure 1: A person's pain threshold increases with the number of swats received.

The area above that pain threshold can be shaded and labeled "agony." (Figure 2).

Posted Image
Figure 2: Blue area above the rising pain threshold leads to AGONY!

Not only the pain threshold, but also the level of pain felt increases as a spanking proceeds. For a stress-relief spanking, the spanker slowly meters out the pain, increasing the intensity very slowly, so that the bottom's pain threshold is never exceeded (Figure 3). The separation between the accumulated pain of the spanking at any moment and the natural pain threshold at that moment is shown as (1), with the shaded area indicating pain from the spanking, always below the pain threshold. Eventually, the pain of the blows becomes maximum (at (2)), but never faster than the natural pain threshold increases.

Posted Image
Figure 3: Accumulating pain from stress-relief spanking (green curve and shading) is always below the bottom's rising pain threshold (blue line).

In a punishment spanking, the intent is to make EVERY swat exceed the person's pain threshold, causing agony and effecting lasting behavior change. Hence, even the first blow rises above the pain threshold, as do all others. The spanking is entirely in the region of "Agony" shown in Figure 4. That region, shown where the red crosshatch covers the blue shading, has been named by spanking science as the "I'll be good!" region (abbreviated the "IBG" in scholarly publications.) Indeed, one often hears of punishment spankings proceeding with little or no warmup. To maintain most or all of the spanking above the pain threshold, little or no warmup is used.

Posted Image
Figure 4: As shown by the red curve, the punishment spanking occurs entirely above the pain threshold, invoking the involuntary "I'll Be Good!!!" plea.

So in short, the skillful stress-relief spanker will read the subtle clues of his subject and constantly adjust his spanking to keep it below, but sometimes just below, the increasing pain threshold. The disciplinarian, on the other hand, will keep most of the spanking in the pain region, maximizing its corrective effect, while avoiding physical damage.
"Most men fantasize about receiving a hard disciplinary punishment but aren't quite prepared for what it involves... It is a tremendous amount of pain applied in a manner that is beyond their limits in order to teach them a proper lesson." Miss J, lead of Women-Spanking-Men.com

#2 jswannabme

jswannabme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:58 AM

Haha...Science seems to complicate things, but very nice analysis.

The simple way to explain this is that stress relief spankings are desired...discipline is not.

#3 Guest_tatt2blue_*

Guest_tatt2blue_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

Excellent post! The mere fact you made those graphs is impressive alone :)
Thanks for sharing,
MaMa Blue

#4 Guest_packlovr_*

Guest_packlovr_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

Excellent illustrations & description. I understand the difference, but have some additional complications. I also feel there are other types of spankings, such as "sensual" spankings or "maintenance" spankings. How do you categorize these spankings.

Another thought is that I feel a punishment spanking has a cleansing effect on the recipient. The "stress" spanking relieves stress--- is there a difference?

#5 Catharsis By Her Hand

Catharsis By Her Hand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

packlovr, as regards maintenance spankings, the intent is for the spanking to make a brief excursion into the "Agony" region (see http://www.spankingn...h=1 for a thread on the board devoted to maintenance spankings with some great thoughts.) The idea is to convince or remind the receiver of just how much a spanking can hurt, and more importantly, how much a longer punishment journey into that region of agony will hurt, acting as a deterrent to bad behavior.

The sensual spanking is indeed very similar to the stress relief, but is often shorter, as it is often a means to an end, that end providing its own release and associated relief.

I agree, both stress and punishment spankings have a cleansing effect. Both can give the recipient a sleepy feeling of well being, despite a burning bottom, and a desire to curl into bed. The stress relief also brings a sense of peace, a reset of the mind, moving one away from being stuck in the rut of depressing factors to become a mere observer of those factors, conscious of them but no longer ensnared by them. The punishment spanking can bring a sense of expiation or atonement - "What I did was terrible, but as a result of my punishment, I need no longer be guilty, as I have paid."

I like the crispness of jswannabme's definition (desired vs. not desired). However, I can personally attest that I have sought ("desired?") the punishment spanking to achieve that sense of expiation for something that has been eating at me. I think that jswannabme's definition applies well to the spankEE; perhaps my description is more for the spankER.

The plot below (thanks for the encouragement, MaMaBlue), shows both. Both are shorter, with the maintenance spanking (black curve) moving quickly into, then out of, the "agony" region. The sensual spanking curve of rose leads to a pleasureable end beyond the spanking itself (though need not - it can be its own pleasure).

Posted Image
Figure 5: Maintenance spankings remind the recipient of how much a punishment spanking will hurt by briefly visiting the "Agony" region; sensual spankings often are a path to a most pleasurable end.
"Most men fantasize about receiving a hard disciplinary punishment but aren't quite prepared for what it involves... It is a tremendous amount of pain applied in a manner that is beyond their limits in order to teach them a proper lesson." Miss J, lead of Women-Spanking-Men.com

#6 Kyros

Kyros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

A most intersting and well illustrated post. Thank you for it. Over the years, I have received and given many spankings. Your illustration explains the difference I felt between punishment and pleasure spanks. In the pleasure mode my body reaction actually changed. The tingle on my butt became a full body tingle, that I wanted to intensify. I wanted the stimulus to continue. By comparison, with a punishment spank, I just wanted it to end.
As a tree is trained, so will it grow

#7 Guest_packlovr_*

Guest_packlovr_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

I love your graphs & your explanations are very intuitive & thought provoking. I think one thing that is missing is the verbalization that accompanies the spanking. It appears that the difference in the various spankings is mostly intensity & duration. I think the verbalization is very much a part of each spanking. Obviously the punishment spanking includes scolding. The maintenance spanking is reminders & sensual may include sexuality or soothing. What about a stress spanking?

#8 Catharsis By Her Hand

Catharsis By Her Hand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

I love your graphs & your explanations are very intuitive & thought provoking. I think one thing that is missing is the verbalization that accompanies the spanking. It appears that the difference in the various spankings is mostly intensity & duration. I think the verbalization is very much a part of each spanking. Obviously the punishment spanking includes scolding. The maintenance spanking is reminders & sensual may include sexuality or soothing. What about a stress spanking?

I agree... for my first planned punishment spanking, verbalization took the form of lecturing. Because it came from the spanker whose opinion I respect and for whose good regard I strive, her lecture actually hurt me more than the severe spanking that followed.

For the stress relief spanking, verbalization is just a minor part of what I consider very essential, and that is: atmosphere. In a note here (http://www.spankingn...indpost&p=30010), I describe an atmosphere that includes candles in a darkened room, light patterns playing on a screen in front of the eyes of the (upended) subject, New Age music playing from speakers centered around the head, soft fur-like cloth against the bare skin, fragrant lotion rubbed into the buttocks before and during the spanking, and from the spanker, words and sounds of soothing encouragement. Dang... writing this just got me craving a stress-relief spanking!

By the way, as described here (http://www.spankingn...indpost&p=25713), the atmosphere of a punishment spanking is quite different, possibly including:

* Dark, scarey atmosphere, with candles guttering and Gaelic music playing;
* Evidence of what the result might be, by photographs of prior recipients with raw, bleeding buttocks;
* Preparation of the buttocks, by exfoliation or shaving;
* Ritualistic routines, such as a known position that takes care to get into, or the slow and careful binding into position so you know you won't be able to move even a mite;
* Dread imposed by group spanking... imagine behind next in line behind a person screaming, writhing, and crying his/her eyes out for what is about to happen to you
* Amelioration afterward... balm rubbed into the buttocks, wrapping in a blanket, placing into a bed.

(OK - dread from the punishment atmosphere overcame my craving from the stress-relief atmosphere!)

#9 Ispunishmentneeded

Ispunishmentneeded

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

Sorry, I hate charts, Stats can be made to be anything you want.....I thought Don Henley song based on the OJ trail summed it best.....But why I love to give a stress relief spanking best....is...I get instant feedback from my spankee....I can in a heartbeat tell if her stress is gone....I can see if the spanking truly work.....I love stress release spanking...if done right you can see the monkey being released from the spankees back...as soon as the are let up you can see a differnce in there attitude..

"Today I made and appearance downtown
I am an expert witness, because I say I am
And I said, 'Gentleman....and I use that word loosely...I will testify for you
I'm a gun for hire, I'm a saint, I'm a liar
Because there are no facts, no truth, just data to be manipulated
I can get you any result you like....what's it worth to ya?
Because there is no wrong, there is no right
And I sleep very well at night
No shame, no solution
No remorse, no retribution
Just people selling t-shirts
just opportunity t participate in this pathetic little circus
And winning, winning, winning'

#10 Guest_packlovr_*

Guest_packlovr_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

I agree... for my first planned punishment spanking, verbalization took the form of lecturing. Because it came from the spanker whose opinion I respect and for whose good regard I strive, her lecture actually hurt me more than the severe spanking that followed.

For the stress relief spanking, verbalization is just a minor part of what I consider very essential, and that is: atmosphere. In a note here (http://www.spankingn...indpost&p=30010), I describe an atmosphere that includes candles in a darkened room, light patterns playing on a screen in front of the eyes of the (upended) subject, New Age music playing from speakers centered around the head, soft fur-like cloth against the bare skin, fragrant lotion rubbed into the buttocks before and during the spanking, and from the spanker, words and sounds of soothing encouragement. Dang... writing this just got me craving a stress-relief spanking!

By the way, as described here (http://www.spankingn...indpost&p=25713), the atmosphere of a punishment spanking is quite different, possibly including:

* Dark, scarey atmosphere, with candles guttering and Gaelic music playing;
* Evidence of what the result might be, by photographs of prior recipients with raw, bleeding buttocks;
* Preparation of the buttocks, by exfoliation or shaving;
* Ritualistic routines, such as a known position that takes care to get into, or the slow and careful binding into position so you know you won't be able to move even a mite;
* Dread imposed by group spanking... imagine behind next in line behind a person screaming, writhing, and crying his/her eyes out for what is about to happen to you
* Amelioration afterward... balm rubbed into the buttocks, wrapping in a blanket, placing into a bed.

(OK - dread from the punishment atmosphere overcame my craving from the stress-relief atmosphere!)

#11 Guest_packlovr_*

Guest_packlovr_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

I truly love your explanation of the stress spanking & the appropriate atmosphere. The preparation of the buttocks, the positioning, it almost crosses the line into sensual doesn't it?

#12 Catharsis By Her Hand

Catharsis By Her Hand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

Yup, sure can, packlovr! Thanks!

#13 Guest_packlovr_*

Guest_packlovr_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

I think your charts/graphs are great & very well done.

#14 Bill Star

Bill Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

Interesting graphical representation. What i find interesting about it is that you can look at the chart and understand where there might be unchartered territory. some of the places i might add a level of complexity are that the increasing pain to knumbness, is a series of quantum steps. either in a wave shape upward, or in a sawtooth shape upward. (they all match your upward curve.

The first dozen whacks on a bottom without warm-up are intense and then there is a bit of calming by the recipient. Then as the heat becomes cumulative it is like the heat is turned up again. then the first implement is replaced with a heavier one and the initial torment is resequenced. One a level of numbness is achieved rather than flat it drops down, but renewing the spanking after a minute or two and it is even more intense. maybe some cream is applied to make it sting more.

I also tended to think of the curve in 3-D. What is the effect from spanking to spanking. Interesting..Thanks

#15 Catharsis By Her Hand

Catharsis By Her Hand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:52 AM

Interesting graphical representation. What i find interesting about it is that you can look at the chart and understand where there might be unchartered territory. some of the places i might add a level of complexity are that the increasing pain to knumbness, is a series of quantum steps. either in a wave shape upward, or in a sawtooth shape upward. (they all match your upward curve.

The first dozen whacks on a bottom without warm-up are intense and then there is a bit of calming by the recipient. Then as the heat becomes cumulative it is like the heat is turned up again. then the first implement is replaced with a heavier one and the initial torment is resequenced. One a level of numbness is achieved rather than flat it drops down, but renewing the spanking after a minute or two and it is even more intense. maybe some cream is applied to make it sting more.

I also tended to think of the curve in 3-D. What is the effect from spanking to spanking. Interesting..Thanks

Excellent observation, Bill Star! Sawtooth waveforms indeed seem to permeate spanking...

• on the micro level, when one blow gives a nearly (but not exactly) instant rise in pain level, followed by a slower decay to less pain (but not to NO pain, at least until hours after the spanking);
  • on the meso level, i.e., within one spanking session, which you describe, as a less-severe implement hits a bottom for the first time, then repeats, building up pain to a particular level ("first dozen whacks, then calming"), and is then followed by a more severe implement, and the up-and-down occurs again for that tool;
  • on a macro level, over several spankings, as the blue pain threshold curve that rises slowly throughout a spanking, then drops after, does not drop quite as far, indicating a long-term buildup of tolerance.

One can imagine all sorts of questions that can only be answered by experimentation, i.e.,

• for a given intensity and implement, what is the most painful rate of spanking (if you hit 10 blows as fast as possible, the first blow has not yet reached full pain before the second and maybe third have hit, yet if you take all day for 10 blows, there is almost full recovery between them!);
  • is there a threshold limiter to pain, i.e., for a first blow on an unspanked bottom, does a heavy paddle and a strong arm really hurt any more than a light paddle, or do both just drive the pain meter to the top of its scale?
  • how does one measure pain during a spanking anyway? Determining which side of the (rising) pain threshold the effect of a blow lies is hard enough - then trying to measure relative pain ("this swat hurt less than that one") is harder still, and absolute pain measurement ("that was a 10 on my pain scale") is even harder.

I suspect that these and other questions can only be answered by detailed and extensive empirical exploration using scientific methods. I will soon be opening up iSwat: Institute Spanking Wisdom And Technology, encouraging members of this board to become subjects (both spankees and spankers), and applying for government grants (Economic Stimulus, OK?) (This is better than trying to use self-spanking to answer these burning questions, right? Can't take scientific notes if my hands and bottom are occupied by spanking!) Stay tuned!

#16 Peanut

Peanut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

WOW It really looks like you have this down to a science! You must be a very intelligent person :)

The graphs were really impressive!

Thanks for the info!

<3 <3 <3 Lizzy <3 <3 <3

#17 BigGirlSpanker

BigGirlSpanker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

LOL! Love the graphs!

Can we include them in the textbook that we all will one day write?

Very excellent!
"What's Important is Finding Out What Works for You" - Henry Moore

#18 MissBam

MissBam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:40 AM

Cathy..the tears were rolling...with laughter! And at my age..(which you so kindly reminded me as being older than mold...) I almost leaked the other way too! Brat!

Lucky LW! You need SOO many spankings...she never lacks for a butt to spank with you around!

Love,

MB
Never let your morals get in your way of doing what's right.

#19 spankaddict

spankaddict

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:55 AM

Excellent analysis! As a spanker you have described in graghs what happens to the buttocks during a spanking! And as a spankee you analyze it perfect! The threshold of pain is important because it balances with pleasure and change! As a spanko you always have to figure pleasure versus the.threshold of pain in spankos! Great and spot on analysis though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users